Jim, Phyllis Easton donate $2M for improvements to UCLA softball stadium

UCLA softball will debut a brand new video score board for its game against Stanford on April 9. (UCLA Athletics)

By Korbin Placet

UCLA Athletics announced Monday that regular patrons Jim and Phyllis Easton will donate a commitment of $2 million to support improvements to Easton Stadium, the home of UCLA softball. One of the many improvements will be a state-of-the-art video scoreboard bearing their name.

“Few people have had more of an impact upon both the athletic and campus communities here at UCLA than Jim and Phyllis Easton,” said Athletic Director Dan Guerrero in a press release. “From the building of Easton Sports into an athletic equipment empire to their tireless dedication to philanthropy, the scope of the Eastons’ contributions reaches well beyond school and department walls.”

Jim Easton is a Henry Samuel School of Engineering and Applied Science alum. He and his wife, Phyllis, have supported the university regularly, providing contributions to the David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA Anderson School of Management and the engineering school.

The new scoreboard is set to debut April 9, the day of UCLA’s game against Stanford.

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.