Dance Marathon funds AIDS treatment, support

By Chris Campbell

UCLA students have teamed together with the Pediatric Aids Coalition to acknowledge the struggles of children suffering from AIDS. The Pediatric AIDS Coalition raised over $446,000 through their annual Dance Marathon this weekend, which will will help fund support and treatment services aimed at women and children.

TRANSCRIPT:

Piceno: Bright neon colors are flooding the building, dancers are packing the floor of Pauley Pavilion, and students are screaming at the top of their lungs to Montell Jordan’s famous classic “This is How We Do It.” Yes, it’s that time of year again, UCLA Pediatric Aids Coalition kicked off its annual Dance Marathon at Pauley Pavilion Saturday afternoon to start off the 15th annual Dance Marathon.

UCLA students have teamed together with the Pediatric Aids Coalition to acknowledge the battle of children suffering from Pediatric HIV/AIDS. The 26 hour long event consisted of students staying on their feet through endless dancing, teamwork games and entertainment. The current president of UCLA’s Dance Marathon, Minali Mohindra, has participated in PAC for four years.

Mohindra: “I think dance marathon is just the epitomy of young fresh and hip with philanthropy attached to it. Which is a cool thing because not every 20 year old thinks that philanthropy is the most exciting thing, but what we do is bring DJs, entertainers, we have great food, great crafts, great activities going on the whole time. It’s such a vibrant energetic environment and it makes people want to be a part of this philanthropic movement because it’s so engaging in that sense.”

Piceno: The Pediatric AIDS Coalition first began at UCLA in 2002. Since its establishment, PAC has raised $4 million to support the group’s three beneficiaries: The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Project Kindle, Pac Life Skills/ Mentorship Program.

Fourth-year student and member of the cause committee of PAC, Emma McCune said that the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is the major beneficiary of the event. It receives 70 percent of the $446,000 raised by the Dance Marathon this year. The money goes towards treatment clinics in Sub-Saharan Africa.

McCune: They really work with the health care administrators over there in those countries to provide health care workers, hospitals and clinics that can really provide testing and treatment for these HIV positive mothers and their children so their children are born HIV negative.

Piceno: Mohindra wants to raise awareness for HIV because it is a preventable disease.

Mohindra: With HIV, if you give a woman the treatment she needs for the entire term of her pregnancy and her nursing, you will 100 percent be able to prevent her baby from being born with HIV. If we can do that to every HIV positive mother, we will have an entire generation of children who are HIV negative and completely eradicate the disease.

Piceno: Mohindra embraces every moment of what she does. She especially hopes that she can pass her passion on to the next generation of Bruins.

Mohindra: To see a first year on PAC, I’ve been on PAC for four years, but to see a first year on PAC experience that for the first time and realize how important this cause is and how meaningful this organization can be for them, that’s a really special thing and to see a dancer who is dancing for the first time finally learn about what HIV is and be moved by the speakers we have on stage, that’s the thing that really makes me proud.

Piceno: Amy Gonser, a fourth-year student at UCLA studying Human Biology and Society has participated in the event since her freshman year. As executive director of outreach, Gonser feels a personal connection to those with HIV.

Gonser: “I will never forget when one of the speakers went up and how his father transfused blood into his own child because he didn’t want to take care of him anymore. This was when there was no cure. He lived and he got up and spoke. I just remember being so inspired. It has built on every year.”

Piceno: As executive director, Gonser has had the privilege to interact face-to-face with children affected with HIV at one of UCLA’s beneficiaries Project Kindle.

Gonser: I have been absolutely touched by their stories and I think the world of them we are so lucky to get to bring them to the event because the kids themselves get to come and be ambassadors for the cause. They get to be on the teams with everyone and share their stories.

Piceno: Dance Marathons has become a tradition on campuses and in communities worldwide. UCLA’s Dance Marathon is considered the largest student-organized philanthropic event on the West coast. What kind of Bruin would come to this event?

Mohindra: I think the definition of being a bruin is the type of person who would participate in this event. Bruins as a rule and from my experience are philanthropically minded, they care about real world issues, they are committed and they are persevering which is what you need to dance for 26 hours straight.

Piceno: The Pediatric AIDS Foundation hopes that their Dance Marathon will raise money for clinics to properly treat children with HIV. The event focuses student attention on the issue and PAC hopes they can contribute to the end of pediatric AIDS.

For Daily Bruin Radio, this is Marisa Piceno.

Chris Campbell | Alumnus
Chris Campbell was the Daily Bruin Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year. He previously served as Radio Director and as a Radio contributor. He writes about everything, but focuses on Westwood and city issues.