Women’s rowing struggles to stay afloat at San Diego Crew Classic

The UCLA women’s rowing team continued its struggles at the San Diego Crew Classic, with its varsity eight boat placing last in Sunday’s grand final.

By Sophie Zollman

No. 20 UCLA women’s rowing continued to struggle this past weekend at the San Diego Crew Classic at Mission Bay, failing to finish first and placing second only twice in their nine races.

The Bruins competed Saturday and Sunday with a varsity eight, a second varsity eight, a varsity four, a second varsity four and a novice eight boat.

In the first race Saturday, the Bruins’ varsity eight boat finished third in its heat with a time of 6:41. The boat was less than a half-second behind Texas, which finished in second place. USC was the winner with a time of 6:36.

The UCLA varsity eight advanced to compete Sunday in the grand final, but finished in last place with a time of 7:10. Cal won the final with a time of 6:49 – 30 seconds ahead of the Bruins’ boat. This marks the worst finish for the varsity eight boat so far this season.

The other Bruin boats had similarly inconsistent results. The varsity four finished second in its five-boat heat with a final time of 7:44 Saturday, but in the six-boat grand final race Sunday, they finished in fifth place with a time of 8:17, 24 seconds behind Cal’s winning boat.

Email Zollman at [email protected].

Sophie Zollman