USAC recap – March 29

By Rupan Bharanidaran

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council voted to allocate $2,350 to student groups from the Academic Success Referendum fund.
  • The council approved last week’s allocation of $3,211 to student groups and a USAC office from the Contingency Programming Fund in a 11-0-1 vote.
  • The council approved an allocation of $620 for two USAC offices in a 10-0-2 vote.
  • The council unanimously approved an allocation of $9,435 for student groups from the Contingency Programming fund.
  • The council unanimously approved a resolution endorsing the University of California Student Association’s automatic student voter registration proposal. The program would automatically register UC, California State University and California community college students to vote.
  • The council held a moment of silence for victims of the terror attacks in Brussels and Andrew Jacks, a fourth-year mathematics and economics student, who died in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico during spring break.

Officer reports

• USAC President Heather Rosen said she and graduate student leaders from other UC campuses met with UC President Janet Napolitano during finals week. She said they discussed the lack of resources and support for graduate students. Rosen added she will meet with Chancellor Gene Block for their quarterly meeting Wednesday.
  • Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said she will meet with Student Organizations, Leadership and Engagement, or SOLE, officials to discuss how SOLE can better serve student groups. Hourdequin added she will meet with Nancy Greenstein from UCPD to discuss campus safety recommendations.
  • External Vice President Zach Helder said he will attend UCSA’s Student Lobbying Conference in Sacramento next month, where students will discuss ways to address student mental health issues.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Trent Kajikawa said his office will host events for Fight for Education Week next week, which focuses on academic inequities in K-12 and higher education.
  • Administrative Representative Debra Geller said she spoke with the UC Office of the President to review language for the various referenda that will be placed on the ballot in May.
Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.