UCLA student died in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico during spring break

By Jillian Frankel

The original version of this article stated that Andrew Jacks' father posted a status about Jacks' memorial. In fact, Jacks' brother posted the status.

A UCLA student died in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, during spring break. He was 22.

Andrew Jacks, a fourth-year mathematics and economics student, was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and grew up in Newport Beach, California.

Jake Ksendzov, SAE president and a third-year mathematics and economics student, said the fraternity will not comment about Jacks’ death following a request from the Jacks family to avoid publicity.

Javier Marquez, an investigation agent from the Cabo San Lucas Police Department, confirmed that a California student died last week in Cabo San Lucas, but added he can only release any additional information to immediate family members.

The national chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Province Chi posted about Jacks’ death on Facebook Saturday and asked members to keep Jacks and his family in their thoughts and prayers. The chapter added the California chapter of SAE established a scholarship in Jacks’ honor.

Jacks was a 2015 UCLA Sharpe Fellow in investment banking and was a member of Bruins United as well as the Undergraduate Business Society, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Jacks’ family will host a memorial service Saturday at 2 p.m. at Crean Lutheran High School in Irvine, according to a post Jacks’ brother published on Facebook. Jacks’ father added all are welcome to attend.

Jillian Frankel