UC aims to increase access to mental health services with 85 new clinicians

University of California students will have increased access to mental health clinicians, as part of an initiative that aims to address deficits in mental health services on campus. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Shreya Maskara

University of California students will have increased access to mental health clinicians as part of an initiative that aims to address deficits in mental health services on campuses.

The UC Office of the President announced Thursday it will hire 85 more clinicians to reduce wait times and reach out to more students, according to a press release.

The UC Board of Regents heard updates Wednesday at their bimonthly meeting in San Francisco about the increase in funding for mental health services from $40 million to $58 million for the 2018-2019 academic year.

The UC will use the funding to hire additional clinicians, which will include psychologists, psychiatrists and case managers, according to the press release.

Since 2007, UC counseling service centers have experienced a 54 percent increase in students seeking access to mental health services. Overall, 13 percent of UC students received counseling services last year, according to the press release.

In fall 2015, UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services reduced the number of free visits per academic year from 10 to six because the center was understaffed, said Dr. Nicole Green, interim executive director of CAPS in October.

She added she thinks the number of visits was lowered to reduce the amount of time students have to wait to see a counselor.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor