UC officials announce new fellowships to fund education programs

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

New University of California fellowships will fund graduate-level education programs for students who aim to teach in low-income public schools, UC officials announced Tuesday.

The President’s Educator Fellowships will award $320,000 to UCLA and eight other UC campuses with educator programs for the 2016-2017 academic year, according to a UC Office of the President press release. The UC will also allocate $300,000 to the Principal Leadership Institute programs at UCLA and UC Berkeley.

The Governor’s Teacher Scholars and the Principal Leadership Institute programs train UC students to become educators in low-income and urban public school systems, according to their websites.

The money will be divided based on how many students participate in each of the programs. Individual programs will select its fellowship recipients.

The programs are the only graduate programs in the UC to have received annual supplemental funding from the Office of the President, according to the press release.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.