Conrad N. Hilton Foundation grants UCLA $5.44M for research

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

A Hilton foundation awarded a $5.44 million grant to the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health for research, officials announced Monday.

The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation will fund research about achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, or SDGs, which include reducing poverty and hunger, advancing education and making global cities more sustainable.

The WORLD Policy Analysis Center, a nonprofit policy research center at the school, will spearhead the research. The center is the world’s largest research center that gathers policy data, according to a UCLA press release.

Despite the commitment to achieving the SDGs by 2030, knowledge about how to accomplish those goals is lacking, according to the release.

Conrad N. Hilton, who founded the Hilton Hotels, created the foundation in 1944. The foundation focuses on providing safe water, ending homelessness and helping children affected by HIV and AIDS, among other causes.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.