UCLA dances to the Sweet Sixteen after 72-67 win over USF

By Aubrey Yeo

The UCLA women's basketball team lined up in single file for the national anthem.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore guard Kelli Hayes (left) and sophomore forward Lajahna Drummer (right) dance as Drummer is called to the Bruins' starting lineup announcement.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Hayes (left) and redshirt sophomore guard Kari Korver (right) bow heads during the latter's game introduction.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore forward Monique Billings outjumps USF center Katelyn Weber to give UCLA the opening possession.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Billings adds two to the Bruins' point tally as Bulls forward Laura Ferreira watches.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Senior Nirra Fields scored 14 points in her final appearance at Pauley Pavilion.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USF forward Maria Jespersen tussles for a rebound with Hayes and redshirt sophomore forward Paulina Hersler.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

UCLA gymnastics coach Valerie Kondos-Field was one of many UCLA coaches in attendance.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

UCLA women's basketball coach Cori Close fist bumps a Pauley Pavilion usher as she walks out the tunnel for the second half.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Billings and Bulls guard Shalethia Stringfield clash as they fight for a loose ball. Neither Billings nor Stringfield managed to get the rebound.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Close instructs her team during the timeout in the third quarter as USF starts to close the 16-point deficit established in the half.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Freshman guard Kennedy Burke invokes the full-court press in an attempt to limit Bull guard Courtney Williams.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

UCLA men's basketball coach Steve Alford and his wife Tanya share a laugh at the between-quarters entertainment act.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Sophomore guard Jordin Canada had a resurgent second half as she ended the game with a team-high 19 points.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Hayes (left) and redshirt senior forward Kacy Swain (right) react in disbelief to what they thought to be a no-call by the referee.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Close argues with a referee as the officials stand by their decision to award the ball to USF.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Nicole Kornet cheers on the Bruins after her team grabs a crucial board. The redshirt senior guard is ineligible for a year after transferring from OU this season due to NCAA transfer regulations.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Close exclaims, "How is that not a foul?" as she protests the referee's call.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Canada uses the Bruins' final timeout as she falls to the floor after securing a loose ball.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

The referee talks to USF coach Jose Fernandez as both teams wait for the results of the officials' review on a play that went out of bounds.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Korver engages in a discussion with her teammates during a game stoppage with seconds left on the game clock.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Bull forward Kitija Laksa fouls Canada to stop the clock as her team tries to overcome the Bruins' three-point lead.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

USF guard Courtney Williams drapes a towel over her head as she walks off a basketball court for the last time in her college career. The senior guard's game-high 29 points was not enough to overcome UCLA's lead.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Close and Kondos-Field share a hug as the basketball coach exits to the tunnel.

(Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin)

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus