Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – March 9

By Kristen Hardy

The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.

Comments by public officials

• Chris Ragsdale, the Los Angeles Police Department’s senior lead officer for Westwood, said there has been some criminal activity in Westwood recently, but the incidents have not been connected.
  • Ray Verches, representative for the Southern California Gas Company, said the company will be hydrotesting a major pipeline that runs on Sepulveda Boulevard from Pico to Wilshire boulevards beginning in May. There will be no road closures in Westwood, but there will be traffic restrictions including detours and lane closures.
  • Jasmine Shamolian, field deputy for LA City Councilman Paul Koretz’s office, said residents have requested a closure of Westwood Boulevard from Ohio to Wilkins avenues due to the Persian New Year celebrations occurring on March 27. The council member’s office has not yet approved the application for the event.

Discussion

• Council members discussed the legality of apron parking and how to restrict it in the North Village, and the idea of implementing a sign alerting drivers of the Gayley and Landfair avenue crosswalk to improve pedestrian safety.

Motions

• The council voted to oppose the relocation and expansion of the City School, a public charter middle school, to the corner of Motor Avenue and National Boulevard because council members think it would increase already-existing traffic problems and harm local public schools. The proposed location is not in Westwood, but the council thinks that the relocation would still affect Westwood residents.
  • The council voted 7-6 to approve a motion to encourage law enforcement to take action against short-term rentals such as Airbnb.
Kristen Hardy | News reporter
Kristen Hardy is currently a news reporter covering Westwood, transportation and Los Angeles.