Beach volleyball weathers strong winds, prepares for CSUN, Florida State

Senior Julie Consani and the beach volleyball team faced strong winds during last weekend’s competition. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Aubrey Yeo

A 2-2 split over the weekend against the then-top-four teams in the nation catapulted the UCLA beach volleyball team into the No. 3 spot in the rankings.

Just four days after that four-team faceoff, UCLA (2-2) will defend its new ranking in a dual meet at Santa Monica against Cal State Northridge (1-0) and No. 4 Florida State (4-0).

Although the Matadors and Seminoles will present a fresh set of challenges, the Bruins might have to use what they learned facing adverse conditions in their season opener.

Over the weekend in Malibu, UCLA was given a trial by fire in terms of playing with the wind as they faced gusts exceeding speeds of 20 mph that swept through Zuma Beach.

“The wind was such a factor (Sunday),” said sophomore Elise Zappia. “(We learned to) overcome the weather and embrace the fact that it is windy, and we’re just going to have to get through it together and fight hard.”

Under those conditions, the Bruins were forced to make constant adjustments with each ball that was passed or set, compensating for all the swerving and bobbling at the apex.

“It looked very different from the brand of volleyball you see when there’s no wind,” said coach Stein Metzger. “It was howling. It was even hard to serve the ball in at times.”

The Thursday morning winds at the beach of Santa Monica are unlikely to match the fervor of the winds on Zuma Beach, but given the increased intensity of winds in Los Angeles this week, the teams will likely have to brave the elements.

“It’s actually been a little windy in practice this week, which is nice because we’ve been able to train in it,” said senior Julie Consani. “But I also think over the weekend we learned a lot because the conditions were so intense.”

Ultimately, Metzger believes that windy conditions will only continue to help prepare his team for the ultimate goal of playing in the inaugural NCAA championships at Gulf Shores, Alabama.

“If we do make the national championships, that location tends to have some fairly strong wind,” Metzger said. “So having the opportunity to compete under those conditions was a good opportunity for us.”

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus