USAC recap – March 8

By Eric Phe and Nicholas Yu

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council unanimously voted to add the Social Justice and #UCLAwellness referenda onto the ballot for the upcoming spring USAC election.
  • In a 10-2-0 vote, the council approved a revision to the Arts Restoring Community funding guidelines that increases the funding cap from $3,000 to $5,000 for each student group for each funding period.
  • The council unanimously approved changes to the election calendar. Candidate packets will be due this Friday instead of Wednesday, and Meet the Candidates will be held on April 21 instead of April 22.
  • The council voted to allocate $1,700 to student groups and a USAC office from the Contingency Programming Fund.
  • The council appointed Gilma Bernal, a second-year psychology and philosophy student, as USAC communications director.

Officer Reports

• President Heather Rosen said she met with Nathan Brostrom, chief financial officer of the University of California, and talked about improving safety in housing around campus.
  • Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said there will be food trucks on campus Sunday through Tuesday for finals.
  • Hourdequin added her office collaborated with the Academic Affairs Commission to organize a Finals Study Hall in the Ackerman Grand Ballroom on March 11 from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. Hourdequin added they will provide school supplies, food and beverages.
  • External Vice President Zach Helder said he is working with the University of California Student Association on a project to push for automatic student voter registration.
  • Alumni Representative Michael Starr said UniCamp is entering its 81st year of providing opportunities to students from underserved neighborhoods.

Compiled by Eric Phe, Bruin contributor.

Eric Phe
Nicholas Yu | Assistant news editor