Women’s basketball wins 72-51, advances to Pac-12 semifinals

Sophomore forward Monique Billings had an all around good game against Arizona, posting 18 points, eight rebounds, four blocks and four steals. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Winston Bribach

It seemed like the upset bug was floating around the KeyArena in Seattle.

Any thoughts that another one was in the cards, however, were quickly dispelled by a dominant display from heavily favored No. 2 seed UCLA (23-7, 14-4 Pac-12). The team took the No.11 seed Arizona (13-19, 3-15) out of the game early on and never let them back in it, coming away with a lopsided 72-51 win to advance to the Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Tournament semifinals.

“More than anything, I was proud of the preparation and the energy,” said UCLA coach Cori Close. “We’ve been really focused on being the more prepared team.”

The preparation paid off for UCLA, as the lockdown team defense made life very difficult for Arizona, especially in the first half. For long stretches in the game, the Wildcats failed to break their opponents down, often going scoreless on numerous successive possessions. The Bruins held them to just 15 points in the first half and only four in the second quarter.

After a slow start offensively, UCLA eventually opened up the game. Combined with the rock-solid defense, the Bruins built an insurmountable lead well before halftime. They controlled the speed of play and frequently launched into quick transition attacks. The Wildcats, who were outgunned in every aspect of the game, had no answer.

“We need to get stops on defense,” Close said. “It’s hard to play uptempo when you’re taking the ball out of the net.”

Amidst a solid team performance, sophomore forward Monique Billings and senior guard Nirra Fields emerged as the greatest offensive threats for UCLA. When they were called on to execute, the pair on many occasions put the ball in the hoop. Billings led the way with a game-high 18 points, eight rebounds, four blocks and four steals – a very active and productive showing. Fields was close behind with 17 points, six rebounds and three steals.

Other key contributors were sophomore guard Jordin Canada, who provided seven points, six assists and six rebounds, and sophomore forward Paulina Hersler, who added eight points and three rebounds off of the bench.

“All of us worked together on the offensive end, trying to get better looks for everyone,” Billings said. “We shared the ball well and played together well.”

Regardless of the final score, Arizona continued to fight. On the strength of an improved second half performance, the Wildcats were able to limit the second half damage by the Bruins. Their top performer was forward LaBrittney Jones, who picked up a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds.

Still, as many predicted, this game only had one result and it was decided early. UCLA never seemed in danger and secured its place in the Pac-12 tournament semifinals.

“We had great energy on defense and we were efficient on offense,” Fields said. “I’m pretty proud of our team.”

The loss ends a tough season for Arizona, one that included the school announcing that it was parting ways with head coach Niya Butts after eight seasons, right before the start of the Pac-12 tournament.

“Niya Butts is one of the people in coaching I respect most. She represents all that is good about coaching college women’s basketball,” Close said. “I’m going to miss seeing her in the conference. She’s had a huge impact on me and will forever have my respect.”

UCLA next opponent, Cal, has been the surprise of the tournament, knocking off No. 7 seed Utah and No. 2 seed Arizona State – the biggest upset in Pac-12 tournament history. The Golden Bears, led by 2015-16 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year forward Kristine Anigwe, are riding a massive wave of confidence into Saturday’s game against the Bruins. Anigwe had 24 points and 10 rebounds against Arizona State.

“Their freshman Anigwe is a big part of their team,” Fields said. “If we are locked in and take her away, then I think we can come out with the win.”

The teams have squared off twice this season, with each team grabbing a victory on its home court. This game, however, has much higher stakes. Cal is battling for a spot in the NCAA Tournament, while UCLA is looking to make the jump to a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

“I’m focused on feeling confident about our preparation,” Close said. “We’re going to fight really, really hard to be really, really prepared (for Cal).”

Winston Bribach | Alumnus
Bribach joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He spent time on the gymnastics, women's basketball, women's soccer and beach volleyball beats.