It’s do-or-die time for UCLA men’s basketball against Stanford

UCLA’s defense has improved by nearly 16 points per game since sophomore forward Jonah Bolden (right) was inserted into the starting lineup seven games ago. (Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Men’s basketball

at Stanford
Today, 1:30 p.m

Maples Pavilion
FOX

By Matt Joye

On paper, Saturday’s game looks like the perfect matchup at the perfect time for the UCLA men’s basketball team.

The Bruins (15-13, 6-9 Pac-12) are in desperate need of a Pac-12 road win, and they’re facing a team that they match up very well with: Stanford (14-12, 7-8).

The Cardinal are a slow-paced team – the opposite of the up-tempo teams that have given UCLA fits earlier this season. Stanford’s approach is to take the air out of the ball, ranking dead-last in the Pac-12 in possessions per game and points per game.

If there’s one issue UCLA could have with Stanford, it’s at the power forward position. The Cardinal’s starter at that position – senior Rosco Allen – doubles as Stanford’s leader in points and 3-pointers made, offering versatility in the frontcourt. Stretch-four power forwards like Allen have been a thorn in UCLA’s side all year, taking advantage of its big-big post lineup.

“If you look, through 22 games, I think that’s been our weakness: dealing with really athletic (power forwards),” said coach Steve Alford in late January.

But, to UCLA’s advantage, the Bruins have seemingly solved their problem with stretch-four power forwards over the past four weeks. The antidote to the issue has been versatile sophomore forward Jonah Bolden.

Since Bolden entered the lineup on Jan. 30 against Washington State, UCLA’s defensive numbers have drastically improved. In the eight Pac-12 games before Bolden’s insertion into the starting lineup, UCLA was allowing 84.1 points per game. In the seven games that Bolden has started since, UCLA is allowing just 68.4 points per game.

On Thursday, UCLA put forth perhaps its most impressive defensive effort yet. While the box score may not indicate it – the Bruins allowed 75 points – the fact is that Cal struggled mightily to score the ball on drives to the basket. Cal small forward Jaylen Brown, who’s widely considered to be a lottery pick in June’s NBA draft, was either blocked or tied up on five of his dribble-drive attempts.

“I thought we did a good job for the most night defensively, forcing them into tough shots,” said junior guard Bryce Alford.

The Bruins’ solid defense kept them close with the athletic Golden Bears. If UCLA could only have produced offensively, it would have had a good chance for the road upset.

“You know, (when) we shoot 40 (percent) from the field and 22 (percent) from the 3 and 47 (percent) from the line, it’s going to be hard to win a road game – especially this team, in their building,” Steve Alford said after the Cal loss.

If the Bruins can once again play stiff defense around the rim and restrict dribble-drive attempts, they will be in a very good position to win against Stanford. The Cardinal rank dead last in the Pac-12 in 3-point percentage, and don’t counter with a very strong defensive attack, either.

Regardless of the opponent, though, UCLA just needs a win at this point. A loss would almost certainly derail any chances of an at-large NCAA Tournament berth.

“I’m on their heads about it. I’m talking to them about it non-stop: Don’t listen to the outside noise,” said Tony Parker, UCLA’s lone senior. “That’s one of the biggest things: If they see me doubting them, it’s a bad idea. So I’ve gotta be the most positive and the most active about it, and we’re going to make this happen.”

Email Joye at [email protected] or tweet him @mattjoye.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.