Qualifying scores on the line for track and field at MPSF championship

Sophomore multi Steele Wasik and UCLA track and field head to Washington to compete in the MPSF championship. The Bruins have top-ranked competitors in throws and the decathlon aiming to qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships.
(Daily Bruin file photo)

Track and field

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship
Friday - Saturday

Seattle, Washington

By Darian Jenkins

The UCLA track and field team travels north to Seattle for the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship this weekend in a meet that will be crucial for two members of the UCLA men’s team trying to make the top 16 for the NCAA Indoor Championship.

Sophomore multi Steele Wasik had a personal best of 5,599 points in the heptathlon at the Husker Invitational and took first place, but is currently ranked No. 17 – just outside of the indoor qualifying spots.

Redshirt freshman thrower Dotun Ogundeji is ranked No. 14 in the nation with a personal best of 62 feet, 5.75 inches from the previous meet at the Husky Classic.

Ogundeji is just trailing behind UCLA’s other top-notch shot putters, senior Nicholas Scarvelis – who is No. 3 in the nation – and sophomore Braheme Days at No. 13.

“We have three great shot putters,” Ogundeji said. “We have a chance of going No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 this weekend and getting 24 points.”

Although Ogundeji felt that he had a slow start to the indoor season, he was able to set a personal record at the Husky Classic earlier this month.

“It’s very exciting, especially the fact that Dotun wasn’t one of the top guys coming in,” said men’s throws coach John Frazier. “I know (he) has felt pressure because he was a No. 1 guy coming out of high school and now he’s ready to step it up knowing that when (Scarvelis) graduates he’s going to be the next man.”

Even though he is currently in a good position to qualify for the NCAAs, Ogundeji said he is aware that he will still need to improve this weekend.

The shot putter said he needs to throw at least another foot to solidify his place to qualify for the tournament.

“This will be a really good meet for the (Pac-12),” Ogundeji said. “This year will be a great year for shot put for the whole entire country.”

Despite the pressure and heavy competition at this weekend’s meet, Ogundeji is confident in his ability.

“I’m working on staying over my right and middle, I (previously) kept coming out of it at the front of the throw,” Ogundeji said.

Wasik, a heptathlete, had a standout performance at the Husker Classic, but he said the meet left him feeling dissatisfied with his current ranking.

“It sucks right now being 17th because you’re just one out,” Wasik said. “But I do really well under pressure and I know I can top my PR from a couple weeks ago.”

Wasik has put most of his focus on pole vault, hurdles and long jump, but aspires to gain some more points in those events as well as in others.

The heptathlete had some big breaks with the pole vault in particular, clearing another two heights during a recent practice. If Wasik can achieve the same height at the MPSF championship, that event alone will give him an additional 80 points – a large advantage in reaching the top 16.

“With every multi-event you learn more about the event itself,” said Wasik. “I’m definitely more mentally prepared and more competitive with myself than the last one.”

With contributing reports from Michael Hull, Bruin Sports contributor.

Darian Jenkins