Submission: Student response to death of Justice Antonin Scalia hurts Bruin values

After U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died Feb. 13, many took to social media to comment on the life of the controversial justice, with some liberals on campus expressing joy that his conservatism would no longer influence the court. (Creative Commons by Levan Ramishvili via Flickr)

Editor’s note: We verified claims in this submission that some students celebrated Justice Antonin Scalia’s death on social media prior to publication, but decided to not cite specific examples to protect students’ privacy.

Justice Antonin Scalia, one of the nation’s fiercest defenders of freedom, liberty and the Constitution, died Feb. 13. The left wasted no time celebrating his death. Such joy over any American’s death, especially that of a patriotic American’s, is deplorable.

This is an open letter to the leftists celebrating Justice Scalia’s death.

As conservatives on a campus where we are the minority, we know firsthand that trying to present our opinion almost always results in someone claiming their sensibilities have been stepped on. Whether it was the affirmative action bake sale several years back or protesting the diversity requirement, our opinions are usually met with ad hominem attacks or blatant calls for repression.

This is why we feel a kindred spirit in Scalia. He expected ire for his Supreme Court opinions because, in the face of criticism, ridicule and hatred, he still wrote what he deemed to be the truth. Similarly, we are well aware that writing an article defending Scalia, who we deem a great constitutional scholar, will result in a large amount of hate. But if we don’t fight for truth and decency, then who will? We will enthusiastically take your hatred for standing up for what we believe in and defending an American hero.

The world isn’t perfect. There are evil people who wish evil things upon others. Leftist celebrities and figures in the community showed no restraint on Twitter when they mocked Scalia and expressed excitement about his death. Justice Scalia was not the only victim of such hatred – Justice Clarence Thomas was also the subject of racist attacks that wished for his death. We cannot change what Hollywood or the media thinks, but what we can change is how our campus thinks. We find it extremely problematic that our fellow Bruins were happy that someone they disagreed with died. Let us repeat that: UCLA students were excited about a conservative justice’s death.

One student said of Scalia’s death, “When you (think) about how many drinks you’re about to drink in Vegas because it’s such a beautiful day.” Another student said: “Ding dong – the wicked witch is dead.” Yet another student posted, “Good, now Dick Cheney and (Henry) Kissinger can join him.”

Even in classrooms, students showed no shame in expressing their joy over Justice Scalia’s death. Two students claimed they were happy about Scalia’s death, but claimed they were joking when they were asked to justify their positions.

When we became Bruins, the True Bruin values were rammed into our heads and we remember them to this day. Evidently, the radical leftists on this campus fell asleep each time they were told that one of the True Bruin values was respecting “the rights and dignity of others.” The actions of these individuals are inexcusable.

For a group of people who purportedly preach tolerance, you are by far the most intolerant people we have ever come across. We also find it frankly hypocritical. If a liberal justice, or indeed, any high level civil servant, died in office, we would not be celebrating in the streets. We can respect people we disagree with, while we simultaneously oppose their policies.

We think the U.S. Constitution is the most important document on the face of this planet. While we vehemently disagree with what you say and while we believe you social justice warriors are seething with hatred, we value the rights that the First Amendment offers you. Scalia once said, “If I were king, I would not allow people to go about burning the American flag. However, we have a First Amendment which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged. And it is addressed, in particular, to speech critical of the government.”

Unlike some people on this campus, who would enthusiastically repeal the First Amendment for fear of the violation of their safe spaces, we respect your constitutional right to celebrate Justice Scalia’s death. What we do not respect is tarnishing the Bruin name with unabated hatred of anything that does not conform to certain narratives and ideologies.

As Scalia would have said, this is pure applesauce. Rest in peace, patriot.

The Bruin Republicans Board consists of Jacob Kohlhepp, a fourth-year economics and political science student; Shantal Razban-Nia, a fourth-year political science student; Alex Rhim, a third-year political science student; Joshua Gagliardi, a fourth-year history and study of religion student; Julia Nista, a third-year political science student; Gigi Gordon, a third-year English student; Alexis Moran, a second-year political science student; Haley Nieves, a second-year political science and international development studies student.