USAC recap – Feb. 16

By Nicholas Yu

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council unanimously approved the appointment of Alyzza Reyes Afable, a third-year nursing student, onto the Student Health Advisory Committee.
  • The council approved an allocation of $1,100 from the Contingency Programming Fund for USAC offices.
  • The council approved an allocation of $5,200 from the Contingency Programming Fund for student groups.

Special Presentations

• Jacob Finn, a undergraduate representative on the Westwood Neighborhood Council, and Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin discussed the lack of lighting in some areas of Westwood, specifically the North Village. Finn said Hourdequin’s office and UCPD have been working with landlords to improve lighting outside apartments. Hourdequin said she will bring to council a resolution in support of improving Westwood’s lighting within the next few weeks.
  • President Heather Rosen’s staff presented on what she called poor campus climate at UCLA and introduced a campaign, called Inclusivity 101, that aims to provide a platform where students can engage in constructive dialogue about social issues.

Officer Reports

• Rosen said she met with officials from the Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars to discuss plans to increase USAC’s involvement with the center.
  • Hourdequin said the Funding Study Group, comprised of council members and chairs of various funding bodies, will convene Wednesday to discuss a new website that centralizes student group funding applications.
  • Hourdequin added she is meeting with administrators from UCLA Residential Life to improve programming events on the Hill and increase USAC’s involvement in Hill events.
  • Nathan Skadsen, chief of staff for the External Vice President office, said nine EVP staff members and six students under the Bruin Defenders Program will be traveling to Washington, D.C. next week to lobby in support of mental health and sexual assault prevention.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Trent Kajikawa said he met with Academic Senate Chair Leo Estrada to discuss plans to accommodate an extra 750 students UCLA will have to accept next year.

Compiled by Nicholas Yu, Bruin senior staff.

Nicholas Yu | Assistant news editor