Training with music helps women’s basketball find rhythm

Sophomore forward Monique Billings is one of many women’s basketball players who can be found dancing to the music that blasts through Pauley Pavilion during the Bruins’ practices. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

By Logan Patton

Watch any UCLA women’s basketball practice, and you will come away impressed with the Bruins’ footwork. Not just their drop steps or their defensive slides, but also their Milly Rocks and their two-steps.

The Bruins have been blasting music during training sessions ever since the team began practicing in Pauley Pavilion, said coach Cori Close.

Close said music acts as a helpful supplement to the training environment.

“Practice is a great opportunity to get better and we’re going to have fun being intense and getting better, so music has been a part of that,” Close said. “(It’s great) whenever we can add to that intensity but also have fun – so that working hard is fun, getting better is fun. I think music is really part of that culture.”

Video coordinator Christian Blanks queues up the music, searching for tracks suitable to most tastes, said sophomore forward Monique Billings.

web.sp.wbb.KMay.picB.jpg
Sophomore forward Paulina Hersler said playing music over the Pauley Pavilion speakers helps the women's basketball team maintain energy throughout practices. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

Blanks must cater somewhat to Close, who said she prefers less explicit songs so as not to distract from practice. The goal is to keep the energy up – and from Future to Flo Rida to Chris Brown, the music does its job, according to sophomore forward Paulina Hersler.

“It helps you especially if you feel a little tired or your legs are heavy,” Hersler said. “Here, you hear that music and you get a little extra energy.”

If their legs were heavy at Wednesday’s practice, the Bruins didn’t show it.

As they made their way toward the end of the session, Billings and sophomore guard Kelli Hayes could be seen subtly showing off their Milly Rocks and two-steps as Future blasted through the arena.

The Bruins (17-6, 9-3 Pac-12) hope to stay in rhythm this weekend against Washington State and Washington. The Cougars (12-11, 3-9) will be coming to Los Angeles on Friday to seek redemption for a 75-73 loss to UCLA last month. The Bruins will have their own shot at redemption Saturday, as they face the Huskies (16-7, 7-5), who won 64-56 in the teams’ first meeting in January.

Pink Game at Pauley

Hersler and Billings wore pink shoes during Wednesday’s practice, looking to break them in before game action.

The Washington State game on Friday is the Bruins’ 10th annual Play4Kay Pink Game, which benefits the Kay Yow Foundation and the UCLA Breast Center.

“I feel like everyone has known someone who’s been affected by breast cancer so we recognize them,” Billings said. “We’re just playing for them.”

Singer and songwriter Cindy Alexander, a breast cancer survivor, will sing the national anthem.

Logan Patton | Alumna
Patton joined the Bruin in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She spent time on the men's golf and women's golf beats.