Around the League: Arizona’s Anderson receives honors, Stanford defensive line coach retires

Ryan Anderson, a forward from Arizona, earned national player of the week honors from both the United States Basketball Writers Association and the Naismith Award. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Cummings, Claire Fahy, and Tanner Walters

While Bruin athletes continue competing in Westwood, here’s a look at some of the biggest news from the rest of the Pac-12.

Anderson garners national honors

Arizona men’s basketball’s forward Ryan Anderson earned national player of the week honors from the United States Basketball Writers Association and the Naismith Award.

Averaging 26.5 points and 13.5 rebounds in two wins over Washington State and Washington, the senior became the second consecutive Pac-12 player to win the Naismith honor and the third straight to win the USBWA accolade. Anderson leads the No. 17 Wildcats with 16.2 points and 10.4 rebounds per game, and is shooting 58.7 percent on the season.

Jager one of four Bruins on All-Century team

The now-defunct UCLA men’s swimming and diving team had four representatives named to the Pac-12’s All-Century Team, headlined by Tom Jager, who competed for the Bruins from 1984-1987.

Jager, who was honored for his freestyle sprints, won NCAA individual national championships in the 100-yard freestyle, the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke.

Over the course of three Summer Olympic Games, the Bruin alumnus accumulated seven medals – five gold, one silver and one bronze.

Jager is in his fifth year as the men’s swimming coach at Washington State, previously having spent seven seasons as the coach at the University of Idaho.

The other three UCLA athletes named to the All-Century list were Bill Barrett, Mike Burton and Brian Goodell.

Randy Hart retires

UCLA football experienced Stanford’s unstoppable defense first-hand last September when the Bruins were pummeled 56-35 by the Cardinal. That unit was anchored by a strong defensive line trained under coach Randy Hart, who announced his retirement Tuesday after a 46-year coaching career.

Hart helped Stanford win its second Rose Bowl and third Pac-12 title in four years this season without returning any starting linemen. Hart has coached 28 bowl games and also appeared in 10 Rose Bowls during his time as a coach and a player.

Tampa, Iowa State, Purdue, Ohio State, Washington and Notre Dame also featured Hart on their sidelines before his six-year tenure at Stanford.

Compiled by Matt Cummings, Claire Fahy and Tanner Walters Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.
Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.