Letter to the Editor: Ashe Center provides options for emergency contraception on weekends

The UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center remains committed to the whole health of all UCLA Bruins, including those seeking emergency contraception. While it is true that the Ashe Center is closed on Sundays, students do currently have a number of options when it comes to seeking emergency contraception: 1) Any sexually active female student who is not on birth control can visit the Ashe Center during business hours to obtain a prescription for emergency contraception before they ever plan on using it, or think they may need it. They can then pick up the medication when the need arises, or pick up the medication in advance of any need and keep it for up to one year. If a student does not feel comfortable having the medication at home, they can ask their provider for a printed prescription, so they can take this to any pharmacy to have it filled when in need – even if the Ashe Center pharmacy is closed; 2) The Ashe Center does have limited Saturday hours, from 9 a.m. to noon, for students to obtain a prescription for Plan B from a clinician, or; 3) Students can visit an Anthem-sponsored urgent care center for a $25 co-pay to obtain a prescription for full coverage of Plan B; 4) Finally, if an emergency occurs over the weekend while the Ashe Center is closed and the student does not wish to pay for the non-prescribed Plan B, they can come into the Ashe Center within five days of the unprotected sex and obtain a prescription for ella, which is approved for use up to five days following unprotected sex.

We understand this may seem less than ideal during an emergency situation and that is why we are actively investigating solutions both internally and with the help of our student partners, UCLA’s Student Health Advisory Committee and the UCLA Student Wellness Commission. Some of these options include: 1) Allowing Ashe pharmacists to write prescriptions for Plan B contraception without a clinician visit; 2) An emergency contraception mailbox for quicker and more convenient access to contraception during business hours, and perhaps most importantly; 3) Relocating our pharmacy to Ackerman Union with expanded business hours to better serve the Bruin community.

We assure you we remain steadfast in our mission to support UCLA students in the successful attainment of their educational goals – even on the weekends!

Dr. David Baron

Executive Director

UCLA Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center