LAPD searches for man responsible for multiple robberies

Police are searching for a man who has robbed six people in Westwood Village since September. (LAPD)

By Madeleine Pauker

Police are searching for a man who has robbed six people in Westwood Village since September.

The man hides a cellphone in his jacket pocket and presses it against people’s backs, pretending it’s a handgun, said Alexander Schlegel, a West Los Angeles robbery detective. The man has robbed a grocery clerk, people using ATMs and people getting out of their cars.

He last robbed someone Tuesday at 6 a.m. on Tiverton Avenue near Weyburn Avenue, according to an LAPD alert.

The man also stole a wallet and attempted to use the credit cards inside, Schlegel said.

The man was described as black, about 5 feet 7 inches tall and between 35 and 50 years old with gray hair, according to the alert. He often wears a hat and glasses.

No further information was immediately available. The case is still under investigation.

Anyone with information about this case can call LAPD at 310-444-1541.

Compiled by Madeleine Pauker, Bruin contributor.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.