UCPD arrests man accused of raping student on the Hill

By Roberto Luna Jr.

University police arrested a Los Angeles man Wednesday afternoon for allegedly raping a student on the Hill on Jan. 28.

The student told UCPD she met the man at a party she attended in the North Village. The man allegedly escorted her to her dorm room and sexually assaulted her.

The man called the student after the incident, which helped police identify him, according to a university press release.

UCPD arrested the 21-year-old man on suspicion of rape about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Westwood Village Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Weyburn Avenue. He was also a suspect for a forgery and check fraud case last year, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department records.

UCPD transported the man to the Men’s Central Jail in downtown LA late Wednesday. He is being held in lieu of $140,000 bail.

The man visited Westwood frequently, according to the press release.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday at the Airport Courthouse, according to the sheriff’s department records.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.