UCLA looks to redefine Bruin basketball, starting with USC matchup

Forward Jonah Bolden, who was inserted into the lineup on Saturday against Washington State to provide more athleticism, is expected to start again Thursday at USC. (Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Men’s basketball

USC
Thursday, 7:30 p.m

Galen Center
Pac-12 Network

By Claire Fahy

March holds the monopoly on college basketball drama, but UCLA coach Steve Alford would attest that it’s February when teams truly distinguish themselves.

Heading into its second matchup of the season with USC on Thursday – its first game in February – UCLA will hope that’s true. Currently sitting at 4-5 on the conference season, the Bruins’ chances for a bid to March Madness rest on the bubble.

“We go into must-win games all the time. I think we were pretty close to having the same record last year at this stage and we made a strong finish,” Alford said. “We’re like a lot of teams, you gotta have a strong February so … you want to start the month off well.”

The Bruins managed to sneak into the tournament last year after a weak first half of Pac-12 play. However, when UCLA entered February 2015, the Bruins were still .500 in the conference, which is currently not the case.

CLAIRE-IFICATION: UCLA has a long road ahead.

To make matters worse, the Trojans are the first tough road opponent of a three-game road trip that also includes the two Arizona schools. Since the last time USC and UCLA met on Jan. 13 – an 89-75 loss – the Bruins have made key adjustments to allow them to compete with more athletic teams.

“No one wants to lose at home, but we have to come in and establish our intensity and the way we play,” said junior guard Isaac Hamilton.

Sophomore forward Jonah Bolden is expected to start for the second consecutive game over senior forward/center Tony Parker, who agreed to come off the bench against Washington State last Saturday.

Bolden’s athleticism on both ends of the floor, combined with the increasing strength of previously injured sophomore forward G.G. Goloman makes UCLA a much more competitive team than the one USC trounced three weeks ago.

“We hope it changes for the better, obviously. We are quicker, we’re more athletic playing that way,” Alford said. “It’s been the athletic teams whether it be Washington, whether it be Oregon, whether it be ‘SC – those are the three most athletic teams that we’ve played to date and we haven’t beaten any of them.”

Another question facing the Bruins as they head into the second half of the Pac-12 season is who will lead their offense. Both junior guard Bryce Alford and Hamilton have had impressive individual games in recent weeks but have yet to combine forces – instead trading off scoring responsibilities.

During Hamilton’s 22-point effort against the Cougars last weekend, Alford took a total of five shots, his lowest season total.

“Usually I’m getting more than five shots a game. Playing 38 minutes, taking only five shots isn’t like me,” Alford said. “There weren’t a whole lot of openings for me and I felt like I was being aggressive … and I didn’t want to take any difficult shots because we didn’t need me to.”

The USC game will be a barometer of the remaining games on UCLA’s schedule, as it will show whether the Bruins can compete with elite, athletic competition.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.