ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – Jan. 29

By Catherine Liberty Feliciano

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive and committee reports

• Executive director Bob Williams said Ackerman Union’s facilities designer has started working on renovations to the building’s dining spaces.
  • Williams said the union is working on fixing leaks and deteriorating infrastructure in Kerckhoff Hall. He said $400,000 has been budgeted for the project. The board spent part of the $400,000 removing tiles on Kerckhoff patio and injecting molding into the concrete as a short-term solution, Williams said. He added that the problem is bigger than they originally thought, but that he thinks most of the building’s problems can be addressed in a way without overspending.
  • Williams said ASUCLA is working with the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center’s pharmacy to create new offices. He estimated it would cost around $200,000.
  • Williams said Southern Lights is closed because of unexplained flooding. He added they are working on implementing a monitoring system to determine what the cause is the next time it floods.
  • Williams said he is considering naming the future nondenominational prayer and meditation space “the Bruin reflection space” or the “reflection space.” He said the barriers ASUCLA bought as privacy for the temporary prayer space were too flimsy and that the union is going to buy more that are sturdier.
  • Graduate representative JC De Vera said the Finance Committee met last Friday to hear the auditor’s statement and feedback on the textbook buyback program. He added that the Communications Board did better than expected in October and November 2015. Vera said that Student Media director Arvli Ward is extending his tenure to provide more guidance before he leaves. Vera added the Finance Committee is concerned over the Communication Board’s changing plans for Student Media.
  • Undergraduate representative Apsara Perera said the services committee is looking into providing portable battery dispensers at current battery kiosks for students to rent.

November financial report

• William said ASUCLA’s net income for November was $49,000. He added sales in services and restaurants were down during the month.

December financial report

• Williams said BearWear and computer sales were down in December. He said dropping BearWear sales may have been because of UCLA’s loss to USC in November. He added ASUCLA ended the year better than 2014, but that sales were down in December compared to the first half of the year.

January preliminary sales

• Williams said ASUCLA’s sales are slower compared to January 2015 sales. He said the decrease may be because weather has discouraged foot traffic through stores on campus.

Action items

• The board approved audited financial statements.
  • The board tabled a proposal to defer Student Media’s debt through Feb. 29 to their executive session after members expressed concern about holding the Communications Board accountable for coming up with thorough plan of action toward solvency for ASUCLA’s next Financial Committee meeting.

Compiled by Catherine Liberty Feliciano, Bruin senior staff.

Catherine Liberty Feliciano | Alumnus
Catherine Liberty Feliciano was a news reporter and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. She wrote stories about Westwood, research and student life. She dabbled in video journalism and frequently wrote #ThrowbackThursday blogs. Feliciano was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year.