Around the League: Softball, baseball rankings released, Cal offensive coach resigns

UCLA baseball came in at No. 10 in Baseball America’s preseason rankings, the third-highest spot of any Pac-12 team. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Korbin Placet and Claire Fahy

While Bruin athletes continue competing in Westwood, here’s a look at some of the biggest news from the rest of the Pac-12.

Conference baseball rankings

The Pac-12 is well represented in the Baseball America Preseason Rankings, with five teams cracking the top 20. Oregon State came in highest at No. 5 after finishing second in the league last season.

Cal and UCLA rounded out the top 10 at No. 8 and No. 10, respectively. Pac-12 teams are responsible for four of the past 10 NCAA titles and – with a strong showing in the preseason poll – could be figuring for a fifth in 2016.

Oregon senior forward Jillian Alleyne earned her fifth (Daily Bruin file photo)
Oregon senior forward Jillian Alleyne. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Oregon’s All-American

Oregon senior forward Jillian Alleyne was named Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week after posting two standout efforts on the road over the weekend.

She recorded 14 points and 15 rebounds in a 59-46 win over Colorado, and 26 points and 12 rebounds in a 77-65 win at Utah to earn her fifth conference Player of the Week honor.

The two double-doubles brought Alleyne to 16 on the season, the highest total in the country. Alleyne, a third-team All-American last year and an honorable mention in 2013-2014, is the Pac-12’s all-time leading rebounder and ranks third in the nation with 13.5 boards per game this year.

UCLA softball garnered the second-highest placement of any Pac-12 squad in the USA Today rankings announced Tuesday, placing seventh. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Pac-12 Softball

USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association released its preseason poll on Tuesday, in which six Pac-12 teams were featured in the top 25 and a seventh received votes. The Oregon Ducks came in at No. 6, the highest ranking out the Pac-12 teams, while UCLA ended up at No. 7. Arizona came in at No. 13 with Washington, California and Arizona State rounding out the group at No. 20, No. 21 and No. 22, respectively. Utah received voted, but is positioned just outside the top 25.

The Pac-12 features the second most teams in the rankings with the Southeastern Conference leading with eight, five of which are in the top 10.

Cal coaching changes

Last Friday, Tony Franklin resigned from his position as Cal football’s offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach and running backs coach. The school announced that he is taking the offensive coordinator position at Middle Tennessee State.

Franklin was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for three years under coach Sonny Dykes, and the running backs coach in his final year.

In Franklin’s last season, his Bears’ offense finished third in the nation in passing offense, eighth in total offense and 17th in scoring offense. The 2015 season, when Cal finished 8-5, was its best season since 2009.

During Franklin’s tenure, Cal produced Jared Goff, one of its best quarterbacks since Aaron Rodgers. Goff is currently one the best NFL prospects in this year’s draft – ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. projects him to go fifth overall, while CBS Sports has him going fourth.

Compiled by Claire Fahy and Korbin Placet, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.
Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.