Freshman gymnasts bolster UCLA heading into Arizona matchup

Senior Danusia Francis has scored a 9.95 on beam in each of the Bruins’ first two meets of the season. (Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Cummings

Freshmen Katelyn Ohashi and Madison Preston have provided significant boosts to the gymnastics team thus far, with Ohashi earning Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors after last Friday’s meet against Florida.

The No. 5 Bruins (1-1) will begin their Pac-12 schedule Saturday against another squad that has benefited from impressive freshmen in the early going: Arizona (2-0).

Freshmen Laury Mattson and Skyler Sheppard won the vault title and the beam title, respectively, in Arizona’s season-opener against Michigan State, while freshman Dani Spencer has averaged a 9.75 on bars in the team’s two meets.

Although the Wildcats posted just a 193.475 last week on the road, against Texas Women’s University Pioneers, to fall out of the rankings, they registered a 195.7 at home against the Spartans to garner a No. 10 ranking after the first week of competition.

However, Arizona has not beaten UCLA since 2006, a streak spanning 17 regular-season matchups, and ranks lower than the Bruins in every event.

The Bruins, who remained at No. 5 after a loss to No. 3 Florida in which they scored 196.925 thanks to six marks of 9.95 or higher, are first in the nation on floor, fourth on beam and 13th on vault and bars.

The Bruins have excelled in the early going with their floor routines with three gymnasts in the individual top 10: redshirt senior Sadiqua Bynum is fifth, with juniors Hallie Mossett and Angi Cipra tied for eigth.

On beam, senior Danusia Francis posted her second straight 9.95 beam performance against Florida and redshirt junior Christine Peng-Peng Lee also recorded a 9.95 against Alabama when, still recovering from November surgery for a torn thumb ligament, she performed a spectacular hands-free routine. Senior Sophina DeJesus scored just a 9.7 on beam against Florida, but prior to that, had received a 9.8 or higher on 11 straight beam routines.

Compiled by Matt Cummings, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.