UC Regents recap – Jan. 21

By Shreya Maskara

SAN FRANCISCO — The University of California Board of Regents concluded its second day of meetings Thursday, where the board approved several appointments and heard about the University’s progress towards carbon neutrality by 2025 and the UC’s collaborative efforts with the European Organization for Nuclear Research, among other topics.

• The Committee on Governance approved the appointments of the vice chancellor for health affairs and system chief executive officer for UC Irvine Health, chief executive officer for the San Diego Health System and the laboratory director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

• The board approved the renewal of Cori Close as the head women’s basketball coach for UCLA and David Esquer as the head baseball coach at UC Berkeley.

• The Board also approved the budget for capital improvements and the capital improvement program, as well as external and standby financing for the 2016-2025 statewide energy partnership program.

• The Committee on Governance also approved to add a new student adviser to the Board.

• The regents heard from Rachael Nava, executive vice president, David Phillips, associate vice president, and Matt Sinclair, a sustainability expert on the report on sustainable practices for 2015, which detailed the progress the UC has made towards achieving carbon neutrality by 2025. Officials said although campuses have made progress through programs such as the Cool Campus Challenge and by installing solar panels, significant cuts need to be made to achieve the 2025 goal.

• UC researchers talked about the accomplishments and goals of the University’s collaboration with the European Organization for Nuclear Research, also known by its French acronym CERN. Officials said the UC’s involvement with CERN on particle physics experiments has contributed to the understanding of the origins and makeup of the universe.

The next meeting of the board will take place March 23-24 in San Francisco.

Compiled by Ryan Leou, Bruin contributor.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor