Student housing plan to add 14,000 affordable beds across UC by 2020

By Ryan Leou

SAN FRANCISCO — University of California President Janet Napolitano announced an initiative Wednesday morning that will add at least 14,000 affordable beds across the UC system by 2020.

Napolitano’s student housing initiative aims to add these beds in a mix of graduate and undergraduate housing and university apartments in an effort to address the issue of affordable student housing.

The UC plans to speed up the completion of housing already under construction and planned future housing as a part of the initiative, Napolitano said. She also said the initiative will spur new housing construction and acquisition.

UCLA housing demand is expected to increase next year when the UC accepts 5,000 additional in-state students, as mandated by the deal struck last year between Gov. Jerry Brown and the UC Board of Regents.

Nathan Brostrom, UC chief financial officer, members of the UC Office of the President and other representatives from the campuses will lead the initiative, Napolitano said. Initiative leaders will visit all 10 campuses to understand specific housing needs and assess any barriers to development, she added.

Compiled by Ryan Leou, Bruin contributor.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor