Women’s basketball downs Washington State with close finish

UCLA outlasted Washington State 75-73 Saturday, surging for a 12-2 run late in the game after struggling to take the lid off the basket. Senior guard Nirra Field had 12 points on 33 percent shooting. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Logan Patton

With three seconds left in the game Washington State forward Borislava Hristova stepped back behind the three-point line, eyes focused on the basket as the ball left her hand.

In the end, the momentum was too much as the ball hit the rim and rolled out the other side. The clock then ticked down to signal the end of the game and a No. 20 UCLA (12-5, 4-2 Pac-12) win 75-73 over Washington State (12-6, 3-4).

This close finish was the result of junior guard Kari Korver’s 3-pointer in the fourth quarter, which completed a 12-2 run and gave the Bruins a 72-61 lead.

The team win came with individual victories. Four players scored in double figures, including sophomore forward Monique Billings and sophomore guard Jordin Canada, who had 19 and 16 points respectively.

Despite the overall success for the Bruins, the Cougars were still able to outrebound UCLA 48-38 while shooting 43.5 percent. The Bruins shot about 39 percent Saturday after suffering shooting problems on Friday in a 64-56 loss against the Washington Huskies (14-4, 5-2). UCLA shot 30.7 percent from the field while Washington earned a 21-4 edge from the free throw line.

The Bruins return home Friday to take on the California Bears, looking to go 5-2 in Pac-12 play on the season.

Compiled by Logan Patterson, Bruin Sports contributor.

Logan Patton | Alumna
Patton joined the Bruin in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She spent time on the men's golf and women's golf beats.