Editorial: Jerry Kang’s student advisory board can heed call for representation

By Editorial Board

In his first six months as vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion, Jerry Kang has proven he knows what to say.

From speaking at a Black Bruins Matter protest to implementing his CrossCheck blog to discuss social issues on campus, he’s acknowledged the concerns that frustrated student activists have called on the administration to address.

And now, with the creation of a new Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Student Advisory Board, Kang’s office is reaching a defining point.

The student advisory board presents a significant opportunity for the administration to hear student voices and act accordingly. In his campuswide email on Monday about the board’s creation, Kang invited recommendations on its structure, duties and membership.

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board offers the following three suggestions to ensure the advisory board isn’t just more talk, but action.

In order for the student advisory board to deliver impactful advice to Kang’s office, it is vital that meetings take place at least five times a quarter, securing time and space for Kang to communicate with the board. Establishing consistent opportunities for conversation with the advisory board will give the vice chancellor and his office a chance to genuinely hear students, not just see them.

Frequent meetings will ensure the board’s work is neither brief nor shallow, but able to dive into the complexities impeding equity and inclusion at the school. Student representatives and Kang need the time to adequately assess specific issues at this school and not simply paint UCLA with an empty diversity marker.

Additionally, to ensure that the board’s influence is real in the administration at large, it is necessary that Chancellor Gene Block attends the board’s meetings at least once a quarter. This will help guarantee that Kang’s office isn’t the only one doing the listening.

Secondly, the student body needs to know the content of the meetings in order to scrutinize the administration’s responses. If the content of meetings is not publicly available, then students won’t have the power to keep the board accountable for its promises.

To accomplish this, each meeting should include public minutes, detailing the students’ reporting and ensuing discussions.

Finally, if Kang’s new student advisory board wishes to truly understand and better represent the voices of UCLA, it is necessary that students have an outlet for affecting the board’s work. We suggest that Kang’s office set up a submission form on MyUCLA through which students can suggest conversation topics that matter to them and their communities. While it will be the responsibility of the board’s members to sort and pursue actions that will bring the greatest diversity, equity and inclusion to UCLA, Kang and his board should be accessible to the entire student body.

The creation of Kang’s position presented a big opportunity to close the gap between students and the administration on issues involving diversity and equity. So far, the office seems to be gaining the steam many students hoped it would, but it has not yet been cemented as a major advantage to the student population.

The student advisory board will be the next big step in extending the office’s reach and helping fulfill its promise. As such, this board calls on Kang to take these suggestions seriously, to ensure that student voices are heard and to hold his colleagues in the administration accountable for responding to them.

Editorial Board