UCLA football finalizes offensive coordinator, coaching hires

Coach Jim Mora announced new coaching hires Wednesday, six days after offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone and quarterbacks coach Taylor Mazzone left the program. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Claire Fahy

UCLA coach Jim Mora officially announced Wednesday the promotion of running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu to offensive coordinator and the hiring of Marques Tuiasosopo as quarterbacks coach and Rip Scherer as tight ends coach.

The announcement comes six days after former offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone announced that he and Taylor Mazzone, former quarterbacks coach, were headed to Texas A&M for the 2016 season.

After UCLA failed to match the physicality and aggression of Nebraska in the Foster Farms Bowl on Dec. 26, Mora said he would focus on recruiting bigger players with an eye to helping his team improve in those areas. His hiring of a tight ends coach furthers that initiative as well.

“As we continue to evolve as a program and tailor our philosophies and schemes to the strengths of our players, what you will see is a multifaceted offense incorporating tight ends and fullbacks into our schemes,” Mora said in a press release Wednesday. “Our objective is to be a big, strong and physical offensive unit that has flexibility of personnel groupings.”

Polamalu is to continue his responsibilities as the Bruins’ running backs coach in addition to stepping into his new role as offensive coordinator. Before coming to UCLA, Polamalu was a running backs coach for the NFL’s Tennessee Titans in 2009 as well as the offensive coordinator at USC from 2010 to 2012.

Tuiasosopo was formerly the tight ends coach at USC following a eight-year career as an NFL quarterback with the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets. Scout.com named Tuiasosopo the Pac-12 Recruiter of the Year for 2015. With six early enrollees to the NFL draft and three graduating seniors, the Bruins will need his expertise to help fill the gaps in their lineup.

Scherer served as UCLA’s associate athletic director in charge of football operations for the past three seasons after arriving in Westwood after two years serving as quarterbacks coach at Colorado.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.