Statewide poll shows Californians support funding for UC

By Shreya Maskara

A public advocacy organization released results of a new statewide poll Thursday that showed a majority of Californians would support a ballot initiative that guarantees stable funding for the University of California.

About 63 percent of the 600 people polled said they think the state constitution should be amended to establish a minimum level of state funding for university systems such as the UC and California State Universities, said Rufus Jeffris, vice president of communications of the Bay Area Council.

The Bay Area Council, a public policy advocacy organization that represents some of the largest corporations in California, sponsored the poll.

“The poll shows voters’ increasing frustration with the cost of tuition,” Jeffris said. “The strong support for funding is important because state funding (for higher education institutions) has rapidly declined over the past few years.”

The UC will receive $3.41 billion in state funding for the next academic year, an increase of 4.7 percent from this year, if the state senate approves Gov. Brown’s budget proposal. State funding varies every year to account for negotiations between administrators and legislators and the budget proposed.

According to the poll, residents also said they wanted California colleges to guarantee admission for qualified students and provide more access to required courses, Jeffris added.

Ruth Bernstein, senior principal researcher of EMC Research, the organization that conducted the poll, said the council modeled the survey to simulate voter turnout of likely voters across California using data from past voter history.

She added 25 percent of the people polled live in Los Angeles County, 22 percent were from the San Francisco Bay area and about 10 percent were from Sacramento. The results of the poll have a margin of error of 4 percent.

Jeffris said the council decided to conduct the poll because higher education plays a critical role in influencing the future workforce.

“Students will contribute to the economy, businesses and anything that drives the economy,” he said. “So the question is, how can we accomplish this, and what should the state provide to students, families and employees?”

Younger voters showed stronger support for the measure. About 77 percent of voters between the ages of 18 and 49 voted in favor.

The poll also showed 72 percent of those polled said they think the UC provides good quality of education, and 57 percent agreed a UC education prepares students for 21st century careers.

Jason Constantouros, an analyst at the Legislative Analyst’s Office, which provides fiscal and policy advice to the Californian Legislature, declined to comment on the results of the poll.

Jeffris said he hopes the results of the poll will lead to discussion and legislative action. He added the council has shared the results with the governor’s office and California universities.

“The poll was meant to show voter priorities,” he said.

Jeffris added he thinks legislative action would take time because this year’s deadlines have passed, but the council is hopeful.

“Voters know these are difficult times for students in California and want to make education more affordable,” Jeffris said.

Compiled by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff. Contributing reports from Janae Yip, Bruin contributor.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor