Running back Paul Perkins forgoes next season, declares for NFL draft

Redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins anchored the Bruins’ offense this season, but announced Tuesday that he would forgo his final year of eligibility at UCLA and enter the NFL draft. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Claire Fahy

Redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins announced via Twitter Tuesday that he would not return to UCLA next season. Perkins decided to forgo his fourth year of eligibility and enter the 2016 NFL draft.

Perkins was a key component of the Bruin offense this season, racking up 1,343 yards for 14 touchdowns over 12 games. The redshirt junior received most of the team’s carries, followed only by freshman Soso Jamabo, who had 404 yards and four touchdowns on the season. Jamabo will look to step into a larger role next season in Perkins’s absence.

Perkins’s statement comes a day after defensive lineman Kenny Clark made public his decision to enter the draft and a week after news surfaced that junior offensive lineman Alex Redmond quit the team before the Foster Farms Bowl to prepare for the draft.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.