Big plays help Bruins thrive on national stage

Junior guard Bryce Alford’s runner capped a play in which he made an out-of-bounds save to sophomore center Thomas Welsh before getting the ball back for a score. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin staff)

By Claire Fahy

Shaquille O’Neal, Baron Davis and Jerry West sat courtside at Pauley Pavilion Thursday night, but even their combined star power couldn’t outshine the UCLA players on the court.

The NBA greats watched as the Bruins pieced together big play after big play en route to upsetting the No. 1 Kentucky Wildcats 87-77. Of all the show-stopping highlights, there was one that will remain on repeat across the country tonight.

With just under 10 minutes remaining, freshman Prince Ali caught the ball outside the arc. Without a second thought, the guard drove right down the middle of the key, as he had time and again at practice. Ali elevated for a dunk – unfazed by the presence of 6-foot-8, 230-pound Wildcat Alex Poythress waiting in the paint. As his hand found the rim, the whistle blew, announcing the 3-point play.

via GIPHY

“Prince Ali goes down the lane and dunks on somebody and I’m trying to look at Prince and in the background I see Baron Davis just going absolutely nuts,” said junior guard Bryce Alford. “There’s not too many places you can have people doing that, that are that caliber of players that are back and watching us play.”

READ MORE: Bruin Sports columnist Matt Cummings on the Ali dunk.

Alford was also responsible for a handful of highlight-reel-worthy moments Thursday as he contributed 15 points to UCLA’s 10-point win.

The junior’s 3-pointer four minutes into the matchup put the Bruins up by seven, a lead they wouldn’t relinquish for the next 36 minutes. His catch-and-shoot trey off a baseline screen made it 17-12 in UCLA’s favor just over 11 minutes in. But it was Alford’s wild, out-of-bounds save into the arms of sophomore center Thomas Welsh, who then gave it back to Alford for an off-balance runner, that had the crowd on its feet.

via GIPHY

There was more.

Preceding his teammates big plays, junior guard Isaac Hamilton inbounded to himself off Kentucky guard Tyler Ulis’s backside, scoring a reverse layup to make it 26-21 with six minutes to go in the first half.

Freshman guard Aaron Holiday managed to outrebound Kentucky’s bigs by grabbing eight boards to go with his 10 points, three of which came on a second-half trey that exasperated Wildcat coach John Calipari.

via GIPHY

“I just tried to come out and bring energy so that basically what happened last year won’t happen again,” Holiday said. “My first game I didn’t do too well so after that I just tried to come out and prove myself.”

READ MORE: Bruin Sports columnist Tanner Walters on what this means for UCLA basketball.

UCLA proved itself Thursday, finally finding redemption after sacrificing a 83-44 loss to Kentucky last season.

“87-77,” Bryce Alford said. “I would say we kept it pretty competitive.”

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.