UCLA women’s basketball falls short against No. 3 Notre Dame

(Tehya Faulk/Daily Bruin)

By Reed MacDonald

When the women’s basketball team nearly pulled off the upset against the No. 2 South Carolina Gamecocks last week, some may have thought the performance was a fluke. The Bruins proved Saturday that it clearly was not.

After beating Louisiana Tech 68-57 on Friday, UCLA almost took down No. 3 Notre Dame, who prevailed 92-84 in overtime on Saturday in the Junkanoo Jam tournament in the Bahamas.

Notre Dame held a steady lead throughout the game until the Bruins went on an 8-0 run midway through the fourth quarter to tighten things up. Sophomore guard Jordin Canada, who finished with 12 points, made the game-tying layup with four seconds to go.

The Fighting Irish, who reached the national championship game last year, displayed their talent despite letting their guard down in the fourth quarter. They shot 70 percent from beyond the arc after the first half and made timely baskets, including a late jumper by junior guard Lindsay Allen, to hold off the Bruins in regulation time.

UCLA struggled with foul trouble for most of the game, forcing them to play with more restraint on defense in the second half and allowing the Fighting Irish to do damage at the free-throw line with bonus attempts. By the end of overtime, five Bruins had fouled out including three starters. The Fighting Irish produced 31 points at the free-throw line, compared to the Bruins’ 17.

Sophomore forward Monique Billings, one of two Bruin starters not to foul out, produced an impressive 18 points and 13 rebounds.

The loss comes six days after losing to No. 2 South Carolina by only three points. UCLA, which is still ranked outside the AP Top 25 poll despite receiving votes, looks to move up the rankings with a game against Cal State Bakersfield next Saturday.

Compiled by Reed MacDonald, Bruin Sports contributor.

Reed MacDonald | Alumnus
MacDonald joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He spent time on the women's basketball, women's soccer and rowing beats.