Men’s soccer ends 2015 with season punctuated by highs and lows

Sophomore forward Abu Danladi is part of the Bruins’ trio of offensive standouts – joining sophomore forward Seyi Adekoya and freshman midfielder Jose Hernandez – who will likely be back with UCLA next year. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By TuAnh Dam

As the clock dwindled down Sunday night in Seattle, the Bruins found themselves in familiar situation: fighting to get back into a match after a defensive miscue gave up a goal in the first half.

But UCLA men’s soccer (11-9-1) couldn’t pull off one last comeback, falling 1-0 to No. 11 Seattle University (18-3-1) and entering the offseason with its first NCAA Tournament second-round exit since 2012.

“It’s incredibly disappointing.” said coach Jorge Salcedo. “We had opportunities, but just couldn’t capitalize even with our great second half play.”

UCLA began the season as the preseason No. 1 team, hoping to build on last year’s runner-up finish. But injuries across the lineup and close games that didn’t fall their way had the Bruins battling for an at-large berth in the national tournament.

A dangerous offense powered by Pac-12 Freshman of the Year Jose Hernandez and sophomores Seyi Adekoya and Abu Danladi carried the team and left dazzling season highlights.

The trio showed off their blitzing speed and skills in highlight moments all season – a four-goal comeback at Drake Stadium against the UC Irvine Anteaters, an upset of then-No. 6 Akron in Ohio and multiple goal-to-goal sprints past opposing players.

However, UCLA’s high-powered offense was offset by a vulnerable defense, one that often gave opponents easy and early chances. The Bruin defenders struggled in their preseason games, adjusting to a new goalie and miscommunications up and down the field.

The UCLA offense ranked second in the nation averaging 2.24 goals per game and fourth in total goals with 47 for the season.

On the defensive end, the Bruins gave up nine more goals than they did last year when they reached the College Cup behind the goalkeeping of three-year starter Earl Edwards Jr.

Looking to replace his graduated senior, Salcedo tested out multiple keepers on the roster. Redshirt freshman Pepe Barroso Silva and freshmen Dakota Havlick and Cole Martinez all got playing time before the job went to redshirt junior Juan Cervantes.

With a permanent goalie finally in place, the Bruin coaching staff turned to fixing a lackluster defense that gave up 33 goals in 21 games.

“Defense is a collective effort,” said senior defender Javan Torre before the NCAA Tournament. “We (got better) because everybody understands their role and what they can be doing during a game.”

A late-season run, fueled by health and stronger communication, placed UCLA in prime position to earn a top-16 seed in the tournament before a loss to last place San Diego State cost the team a first-round bye.

“We knew we had to play every game like it’s our last,” Danladi said. “We just had to go out and compete as hard as we can, but it unfortunately doesn’t go our way.”

The Bruins entered the NCAA Tournament knowing only one team leaves happy.

This year it wasn’t them.

But, with the return of their top three scorers and a more experienced defensive line with a season’s worth of growing pains, the 2016 Bruins will look to use these same pieces to get a different ending next year.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.