Halftime Signatures: Trombone section leader shares enthusiasm, knowledge with fellow players

Justin Hang, the trombone section leader of the UCLA marching band and a third-year international development studies student, works to make sure his fellow band members have experiences just as amazing as his first time out on the field and see the thrill of performing. (Keila Mayberry/Daily Bruin staff)

By Sasha Cheechov

In anticipation of the UCLA-USC football matchup Thanksgiving weekend, Daily Bruin A&E features members of the UCLA Bruin Marching Band. Today’s installment profiles Justin Hang, a third-year international development studies student and trombone section leader.

Justin Hang set foot onto the pristinely trimmed grass of the Rose Bowl for the first time in September of his first year. As the overwhelming cheers of the crowd drowned out all other sounds, Hang took in the resounding chants with chills as he eight-clapped with 80,000 UCLA fans.

“I didn’t really think that the crowd would cheer with us … when I heard (the cheers) echo across, I just (thought) ‘Wow, this is so cool,'” said Hang, a third-year international development studies student.

Ever since that first pregame performance, Hang has loved hyping up fans with the Fight Song and celebrating victories with the “Alma Mater.” He now spends his time as the trombone section leader making sure his fellow musicians have experiences just as amazing as his first time out on the field, helping them see the excitement and thrill of performing.

As section leader, Hang said his job is to make sure that the 26 members of the trombone section are consistently practicing their music, developing their skills and growing as musicians. He will often work with the players in small groups in order to give them more personalized advice on technique and skill, such as perfecting their slides and handling the instrument correctly.

In addition to teaching and guiding his section, Hang and the other section leaders are held accountable for keeping the trombone players engaged and focused during rehearsal.

“Sometimes (the repetition of) practice can get kind of monotonous, and it can definitely be hard to get people enthusiastic or motivated,” Hang said. “Not every day is perfect.”

Jeremy Rotman, a third-year computer science student and fellow trombone player, said Hang’s ambition and dedication show in his ability to bring out excitement in those around him with his passion and energy. Hang’s positive attitude lets others know he cares about his fellow trombone players.

“He’s probably one of the best dancers in the section,” Rotman said. “He’s one of the few that will still be jumping and running through the set even late in the practices.”

Despite the challenges of his role as section leader, Hang said the end result makes six hours of weekly rehearsal worthwhile. He is able to see his peers excel and watch their enthusiasm grow as he plays and dances along with them on the football field, wielding the large brass instrument.

“When things come together you get really happy because all of the effort you put in paid off,” Hang said. “Whenever (they do), it’s nice to know that we were responsible for making that happen.”

Compiled by Sasha Cheechov, A&E contributor.

Sasha Cheechov