UCLA football leads Utah 10-6 at halftime

Utah quarterback Travis Wilson has 62 rushing yards so far in this game. (Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Joye

SALT LAKE CITY — It’s been a case of UCLA’s pass game versus Utah’s run game today, and the Bruins are just barely leading the battle.

At halftime, UCLA clings to a 10-6 lead over No. 13 Utah, but the Utes have scored the last six points in the game.

The Bruins (7-3, 4-3 Pac-12) got off to a blazing start, just like they did last week against the Washington State Cougars.

Similar to that game, UCLA began by passing the ball on the early downs, and it worked to a tee. Freshman quarterback Josh Rosen opened the game with a 33-yard seam route to junior Y receiver Thomas Duarte, and he finished the drive with a 28-yard touchdown pass to Duarte. At the end of one half, Rosen is three of five on throws of 20 yards or more, and six of 12 overall.

On the other side of the ball, Utah has stuck to its run-first identity, even without star running back Devontae Booker. Ute quarterback Travis Wilson has picked up the slack, running for 62 yards on 10 carries. Meanwhile, Utah’s backup running back – Joe Williams – has 55 yards on 13 carries, but he did have a costly fumble inside the red zone that cost Utah a key scoring chance.

As is the story with many UCLA games, penalties were a problem. A UCLA pass interference penalty negated a Bruin interception on Utah’s first drive, and a UCLA defensive holding call kept another Utah drive alive in the second quarter.

But unlike past games, the penalty disparity has actually been pretty even between the Bruins and their opponents. The Utes’ countered the Bruins’ four penalties by picking up three of their own – for 30 yards.

Heading into the second half, the key factor to watch will be: Can UCLA stop Utah’s run plays up the middle? The Utes averaged more than 6 yards per carry on runs up the middle in the first half.

Compiled by Matthew Joye, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.