Westwood BID recap – Nov. 19

By Roberto Luna Jr.

The Westwood Village Improvement Association, also known as the BID, is a nonprofit organization tasked with improving the state of Westwood Village. The BID was created by property and business owners in August 2011 to provide Westwood Village with functions the City of Los Angeles could not provide. Its board of directors meets monthly.

• Andrew Thomas, executive director of the BID, said in his report the BID finished installing wayfinding signs around Westwood Village. He added the Los Angeles Department of Transportation will begin discussions with community groups to prevent the illegal use of disabled placards.
  • Thomas said city officials began the Great Streets program’s first phase of improvements on Westwood Boulevard. These include sidewalk leveling, tree well widening and fixing trip hazards. The second phase, which will include a greater number of improvements, will begin early 2016.
  • The BID will begin the application process for a 10t-year renewal.
  • Sheila Kouhkan, deputy director of the BID, has resigned from the BID’s staff. Her last day will be Nov. 30.
  • Ken McCarren has resigned from the BID board of directors. A replacement will be chosen at the board of directors’ next meeting.
  • Phil Gabriel, owner of Scrub’s Unlimited, said in a public comment there were two water main breaks on Westwood Boulevard this week. Thomas said he is in conversations to get storm drains unclogged in preparation for El Niño.
  • Nonprofit People Assisting the Homeless gave a presentation about some changes it has implemented to better assist the homeless population in Westwood Village. The group now visits the Village at least three days a week.
  • Thomas said the BID will no longer apply for LADOT’s People St. program to convert a portion of Broxton Avenue into a plaza. The board will create a committee to plan a design, budget and location for a plaza.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.