Halftime Signatures: UCLA marching band flutist finds camaraderie through supporting role

Fourth-year political science student Lauren Payne leads the UCLA Bruin Marching Band’s 27-member flute section. As section leader, Payne focuses on building strong bonds between flute members. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Erin Nyren

In anticipation of the UCLA-USC football matchup Thanksgiving weekend, Daily Bruin A&E features members of the UCLA Bruin Marching Band. Today’s installment profiles Lauren Payne, a fourth-year political science student and the flute section leader.

The game was tied and the victor would be determined by one field goal. The UCLA Bruin Marching Band watched from the sideline after traveling more than eight hours to Arizona State University and playing through the entire excruciating game.

Lauren Payne, a freshman flute player at the time, waited with bated breath as the ball soared over the goal post toward her face. The referee signaled the goal, making UCLA the winner. She and the other band members broke into a celebratory rendition of the UCLA Fight Song, with the flutes and other woodwinds rounding out the sound of the brass section.

Payne, a fourth-year political science student, has continued her involvement in marching band since that thrilling ASU game and is currently the flute section leader.

Payne said she had leadership roles in her high school marching band and that her interest in setting a good example for others continued into college. She became involved in the band fraternity, Kappa Kappa Psi, and after serving as rank leader her third year she auditioned to be section leader for her fourth year.

The flute section is 27 strong and includes 8 piccolos, the instrument Payne plays. She said the approximately 80 woodwind players are quieter in volume than the brass section which has about 100 players.

Recognizing that the flutes’ sound plays a supporting role allows for a more creative drill to set the flutes apart, she said. Drill is the set of coordinates that describe the places on the field that each member must march to and from during a field show. The woodwinds form more intricate patterns than the brass, such as arcs and spirals.

“Gordon (Henderson), our director, is aware that we’re not the loudest, so instead of putting us at the front to try and make us heard, he makes our drill harder,” Payne said.

The intensity of the marching band practice schedule can prove difficult to manage for some band members. Allison Nguyen, a third-year cognitive science student and fellow flute player, said that Payne keeps her section energized by emphasizing a strong sense of community among the flute members.

This sense of community carries over into the band’s relationship with the football team, Payne said. She said last year at the bowl game, former Bruin quarterback Brett Hundley approached the band members after the game to let them know how much he valued their presence.

“Everyone was hysterical because it’s like, oh my god, Brett Hundley notices us,” Payne said. “I do think people appreciate us and we get a lot of love.”

Although she is sometimes stressed by the combination of managing classes and an intense practice schedule, Payne said she needs band in her life. The band’s sense of camaraderie keeps her coming back.

“Despite not necessarily being heard, the reason band is worth it is because you become really good friends,” Payne said. “It’s like one giant family.”

Compiled by Erin Nyren, A&E contributor.

Erin Nyren