UCLA cross country aims to keep steady pace heading into regionals

Senior runner Lane Werley said that he will be well-rested for the West Regionals. The meet will be held at the University of Washington course, where UCLA competed in the Washington Invitational. (UCLA Athletics)

By Melissa Zhang

The cross country team won’t be looking to do anything flashy at Friday’s regional meet.

“We don’t have to do anything spectacular, we don’t have to do anything special,” said coach Forest Braden. “We just have to go take care of business and really stay calm in that 10K race.”

The No. 20 UCLA men’s team has piled up enough points throughout the regular season to feel relatively comfortable about its chances at an invitation to next Friday’s national meet.

UCLA is one of five teams in the region – along with Stanford, Oregon, Washington and Boise State – with strong chances at national qualification heading into the West Regional in Seattle, according to Braden.

Senior runners Ferdinand Edman and Nick Hartle will not compete, but Braden thinks senior runner Lane Werley has a chance at placing in the top five.

“I will be very well-rested for (this race), for the first time this season,” Werley said. “I want to go in there and feel it out, and get the feeling back in my legs and a rhythm that I can take into nationals and use there as well.”

The University of Washington course where the meet will be held is rather familiar for Werley, as the team ran there in October’s Washington Invitational.

“All of the guys are very well versed in Seattle’s course,” Werley said. “I think the key for us this week is to step up a little bit and be a little bit tougher out there, race a little bit stronger and stay relaxed while doing it.”

During his sophomore year, the men’s team made it to nationals at the very same course.

While the women’s team likely won’t qualify for nationals, freshman standout Carolina Johnson should be able to secure an individual spot in the national meet with a top-15 finish Friday.

“I expect her to get in that top group,” said Braden. “A top-10 finish should be right there for her if she keeps competing with the same desire and strength.”

Johnson said it would be a good chance to compete.

“That will be very exciting to improve and do better,” Johnson said. “Obviously, hopefully make it to nationals.”

Even though this race will be only the third of her collegiate career, Johnson has already impressed many with her first two showings, and was named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year last week.

“She’s very tough and driven,” Braden said. “I think she’s as good as anybody in the region.”

The short week between the long races of regionals and nationals will be crucial in ensuring that the team has its full health moving forward.

“Especially when you’re tired and fatigued, it’s very, very difficult to come back the next week and feel good for that next race,” Werley said. “Your body is basically still recovering.”

However, he feels more rested than ever for this upcoming race.

“I think we all need to step up and race a little bit stronger,” he said.

Werley recently earned All-Pac-12 honors for the second time in his career. This will be his last regionals race as a Bruin.

Melissa Zhang | Alumna
Zhang joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the women's water polo, women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's volleyball, and cross country beats.