USAC to consider limiting resolutions to issues of student welfare

USAC Facilities Comissioner Ian Cocroft proposed changes for the council’s bylaws to pertain directly to student welfare issues. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Keshav Tadimeti

The undergraduate student government will vote Nov. 17 to require council resolutions to pertain directly to student welfare issues.

Undergraduate Students Association Council Facilities Commissioner Ian Cocroft said he proposed changes to the council’s constitutional bylaws to increase the efficiency of passing resolutions, or the council’s official stances on campus issues. Cocroft said he defines student welfare issues as those pertaining to student resources, education, safety and rights. He added resolutions will only express the opinion of the council that pass them.

Cocroft did not point to specific resolutions in the past that were inefficient because they did not relate to welfare issues, but said he still thinks the changes will be beneficial.

USAC’s bylaws govern the actions of the council and its committees. Its Constitutional Review Committee, or CRC, is responsible for making and vetting recommendations to change bylaws.

CRC discussed Monday the impact the proposed bylaw changes would have in the council, and will present their recommendations at the Nov. 17 USAC meeting. CRC can make recommendations for the bylaws, but only the entire council can enact bylaw changes, said Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin.

Former General Representative Manjot Singh said he thinks the proposed changes are too restrictive.

“Limiting what kind of resolutions can be brought forth limits the student voice,” he said.

Shagun Kabra, former Election Board chair, said he thinks the changes could bring tangible benefits to student welfare, but could also stop some council members from bringing up issues they find important.

Still, Cocroft said he is confident his proposed changes will help the student body. He added he thinks the changes use the council’s resources to enact resolutions that impact all students.

“I am optimistic,” Cocroft said. “The council will realize that this is a common sense measure.”

Keshav Tadimeti | Alumnus
Tadimeti was the Daily Bruin's Opinion editor from 2017-2019 and an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 school year. He tends to write about issues pertaining to the higher education, state politics and the administration, and blogs occasionally about computer science. Tadimeti was also the executive producer of the "No Offense, But" and "In the Know" Daily Bruin Opinion podcasts.