Submission: Disregard of AP, IB units during enrollment promotes equity

It is that time of the quarter when UCLA students have to plan out their schedule for the next term, wake up to an unfortunately early pass time and deal with the anxiety of getting the classes we want. But now some – emphasis on some – students have to deal with a different class standing than what they were accustomed to. I have heard the majority of the complaints stemming from feeling “slapped in the face” and its “unfairness.” But as my family has told me my entire life, “Life is not fair.”

I encourage those who feel negatively impacted by the new policy to examine the world around them with a critical lens. All students at our world-renowned university come from all parts of the world, quite literally. But for the sake of this submission, I want to focus on three public high schools in California. The school I graduated from, South Pasadena High School – based upon most recent data – offers 30 AP courses. On the other hand, one of my closest friends at UCLA comes from Ridgeview High School out of Bakersfield, CA. Ridgeview has 11 AP courses. And lastly, my co-worker graduated from Calaveras High School in San Andreas, CA. Calaveras offers only 3 AP courses. I urge Bruins to ask, “Is it equitable that three UCLA students, based upon the high schools they attended, were given differing opportunities to gain an earlier pass time for enrollment purposes?” My opinion is no. Our academic opportunity at UCLA should not be determined by the location and course offerings at the high schools we attended.

While I only examined these three high schools, it is important to note, “America is one of only three advanced countries where the government spends more on schools in rich areas than in poor ones,” published in The Economist in January 2015. It is important to note: The 29,000-plus undergraduate students come from a wide variety of high schools with differing AP or IB offerings. The timing of the release of the new policy may not be optimal for students, but it is a much-needed improvement to address the academic inequity that UCLA has perpetuated in the past. The unfortunate reality is that all students want the best classes, the best professors, the best intervals and the best TAs. With the previous system, this allowed for students with AP or IB credits to enroll in these acclaimed courses, leaving their peers with fewer or zero AP or IB credits to either take an undesirable course or have to wait until subsequent quarters to enroll. Yes, it will be harder for some students to enroll in some classes: for example, MATH 31B: “Integration and Infinite Series” for students with a 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, a second or third year student with no AP credit will have a fair and equitable opportunity to enroll in MATH 31B. The students without AP or IB credits ideally will not have to compete with students who had the privilege to take AP or IB courses to graduate on time.

In economic terms we all look out for our own self-interest, and this policy negatively impacts students who come to UCLA with a sophomore, junior or even senior standing because of AP or IB units. This policy may seem unfair to these students, as I have heard over the past couple of days; but more importantly, I emphasize that this new enrollment procedure is an equitable one. There is a distinct difference between fairness and equitability, and I implore students to research the difference. I’ve been able to do this through the wonderful courses I’ve taken in the Graduate School of Education & Information Studies – particularly, EDUC 130: “Race, Class and Education Inequality in U.S.” taught by professor Tyrone Howard or EDUC 164: “Race and Education: Access, Equity and Achievement” taught by professor Walter Allen. Now is the time for UCLA students to understand that our world-class public university must act for the interests of students neglected by the old policy, versus the interests of students with copious amounts of AP or IB units.

It is important to note, UCLA is not doing away with all the privileges of taking and passing AP or IB exams. Undergraduates will still receive commensurate unit credit to advance to their degree and fulfill some UCLA courses with a passing score. Yes, this policy could have been implemented at a different time, but the university acted in the appropriate manner to address academic inequity. Striving for equitability is the purpose of this policy and I fully support the college in this endeavor.

Feel free to email me any of your concerns, and I’d be happy to discuss: [email protected].

Kajikawa is the Undergraduate Students Association Council Academics Affairs commissioner and a fourth-year business economics student.