Women’s volleyball to settle on starting setter for weekend in Washington

Freshmen setter Zana Muno had not played the position until this year, operating as a hitter or a libero throughout her high school years. Now, as redshirt sophomore setter Ryann Chandler deals with an injury, Muno may be the Bruins’ starting setter this weekend against Washington State and No. 5 Washington. (Jose Ubeda/Daily Bruin staff)

Women's volleyball

Washington State
Today, 7 p.m

Pullman, Wash.
No. 5 Washington
Sunday, 11 a.m

Seattle
Pac-12 Network

By Grant Sugimura

Entering a weekend of rematches, the biggest question facing the UCLA women’s volleyball team will be neither its game plan nor its mindset. Instead, it will be simple.

Who will be the starting setter?

No. 8 UCLA (17-3, 8-2 Pac-12) will travel north to play No. 5 Washington (18-12, 8-2) and unranked Washington State (14-8, 3-7), after having previously faced both teams at home during the early days of October.

The Bruins were able to beat the Cougars in straight sets but lost to the Huskies in the same fashion.

Redshirt sophomore starting setter Ryann Chandler was pulled from Sunday’s game against Oregon after it appeared the ball hit her head. Former starter and freshman Zana Muno assumed the starting position in Chandler’s absence and helped the team beat Oregon and Oregon State.

All the while, Muno had an impressive showing, posting two straight double-doubles.

Chandler has since been listed as day-to-day, and with that comes the uncertainty of who will get the nod come game time.

Despite all of this, coach Michael Sealy said he remains adamant that none of this affects the way his team is preparing for its upcoming games and he has the utmost confidence in both of his setters.

“I believe Zana is 8-0 as a starter, so we’re not too worried,” Sealy said. “They both set a handful of matches and both did great.”

While both Washington and Washington State hold size advantages and strong blocking fronts, Sealy said his team’s approach remains unchanged.

“We’re worried about our side of the net. You got to run your offense,” Sealy said. “If you pass poorly, you end up having to set higher balls and that’s when they’re going to have a huge advantage. So just try to be in system as much as possible.”

After an impressive showing, and personal bests of 52 assists and 24 digs against Oregon State, Muno said she’s ready for anything.

Muno noted that she and Chandler have two very different styles of play. And she credits the team for being able to adjust on the fly while still finding success.

“(Chandler) has great location, she is really consistent. Whereas, I’m way newer to everything,” Muno said. “My athleticism is what carries me through and gives me an edge.”

The player that would feel the greatest affects from a change in setter would be junior outside hitter Jordan Anderson.

After recording a season-high 25 kills against Oregon, Anderson recorded only 12 against Oregon State, relinquishing the title of kill leader for the first time this season. Sophomore outside hitter Reily Buechler took that title, tying her career high of 21 kills and six digs.

Anderson had a similar stance to Sealy, expressing confidence in whichever setter starts the next games.

“We practice with both of them so much that it doesn’t matter which one (Sealy) throws in,” Anderson said. “We have the utmost confidence in both of them.”

Despite diving into a big weekend with an equally big unknown, the Bruins are geared to compete no matter the circumstances.

Grant Sugimura | Alumnus
Sugimura joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the women's basketball, men's volleyball, women's volleyball, beach volleyball, men's soccer and swim and dive beats.