Gymnast shows skills at World Championship while team prepares at home

The World Gymnastics Championship in Scotland provided British dual citizen and UCLA gymnast Danusia Francis an opportunity to represent Jamaica. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Boer Fu

This week, two Bruins showcased their skills at the 2015 World Gymnastics Championship in Glasgow, Scotland.

In the women’s qualifying round on Saturday, senior Danusia Francis, who represented Jamaica, earned an all-around score of 51.999 with 12.933 on her signature event, the balance beam, while UCLA-commit and World Championship gold medalist Madison Kocian contributed to the 236.611 team score that secured a top spot for team USA.

This is the second World Championship for Francis, who has dual citizenship in England and Jamaica. In 2011, Francis competed for Great Britain alongside fellow Bruin Jennifer Pinches in Tokyo.

To prepare for a return to the world stage, Francis waited no more than a week before plunging back into training when collegiate gymnastics season ended in April. After completing summer courses at UCLA, Francis flew back to London to train with her old club coach.

“She’s already been at the world stage before, so it’s not something new to her,” said UCLA assistant coach and former Olympian Chris Waller. “She knew what to expect going in and she got a solid amount of conditioning in the summer.”

A more important reason for Francis to return to international competition is the mission to join the league of elite gymnasts with signature skills. The 2010 and 2011 British balance beam champion wishes to have her characteristic move – a sideways aerial with one leg in hold on the beam – named after herself.

However, Francis recently learned that her submission to the Code of Points had been denied because her move was judged to be two separate skills.

Despite the disappointment, coach Valorie Kondos Field is still looking forward to watching her apprentice perform on the world stage.

“Knowing Danusia, get her a crowd and get her a spotlight, she’s gonna win the hearts of every single person in that arena,” Kondos Field said.

While one of UCLA gymnastics’ most experienced members is away in Great Britain, Kondos Field said she considers it a great opportunity for other leaders, such as senior Sophina DeJesus and redshirt junior Christine Peng-Peng Lee, to have a bigger voice on the team.

The wait for the Bruins’ key athlete may be long, but Kondos Field believes that Francis will come back a stronger gymnast.

“I think (the World Championship) is going to be really helpful for her, because she’s had such a tremendous career here,” Kondos Field said. “It’s something new and it’s just like infusing her with a massive vitamin B12 shot, instead of same old, same old.”

The international experience may prove to be more than a boost to Francis herself, but also to the UCLA gymnastics team as a whole, according to DeJesus.

“I think her confidence and her being already in shape, physically and mentally, will help us get a boost,” DeJesus said. “And I think it’s just gonna change the atmosphere in a great way, so I’m excited for that as well.”

Boer Fu