Exchanging former theater passions for undeclared possibilities

By Daily Bruin

I came into UCLA last year as a theater major. What may surprise some is that I was a theater major.

With an acceptance rate for the major of less than 10%, theater students are a rare breed here. Applying to the school did not stop with just the general University of California application, but consisted of interviews, portfolio analyses and auditions. The preparation that went into applying was a long process that began my sophomore year by attending art classes three times a week. The majority of my free time was spent reading and analyzing plays and doing research for future pieces that I would add to my portfolio. Two years may seem like a lot, but some of my peers had dedicated 10 or more.

Regardless, UCLA thought I was qualified to get in for costume design and it was a great honor, and I figured that all those hours I spent in front of an easel were worth it. I wasn’t going to waste any time. I developed an agenda: graduate college with a degree in theater, gain plenty of experience, work on my favorite television shows and movies by designing costumes, maybe become friends with celebrities on the way and hopefully win an Emmy. It was a long shot, but those were my dreams and I was one step closer to achieving them.

As I went to rehearsal with my theater family of 67 until 11 p.m. each night, I realized that they were fully invested while I was just trying to get by. That’s when I began to doubt my skills and desire to pursue theater and film. I just didn’t love it as much as the rest of my peers. I could see them dedicate every ounce of their energy to each rehearsal and show, while I was just passing through the quarter just doing what I had to do to graduate.

The thought of dropping theater scared me. I thought I had a distinct plan and now it was all a waste. What would I even change majors to? I was already so behind in General Education classes and had dedicated so much time to theater that I lacked a presence in any other clubs or organizations. I had a family and a rare label, and now I would lose them to become just another lost undeclared student.

As much as I disliked the idea, I knew it had to be done. I wasn’t interested in wasting another three years unhappy and simply floating by in classes I had no interest in.

So now I am currently undeclared, on a exploration to find a new major and have actually been taking classes that fascinate me. I have joined different social organizations and a vast range of clubs to get involved with and meet new people.

As of now, I no longer have a specific plan for my future, but in the meantime, I am happy with where I stand and am truly excited for the rest of my college career.

Jamie Cho

Daily Bruin