UCLA Health to open Woodland Hills Westfield location

UCLA Health will open a new clinic in Woodland Hills Westfield Mall on Monday. (UCLA Health)

By Chris Campbell

UCLA Health will open a new clinic Monday in a Woodland Hills Westfield mall, the first phase of a larger expansion project that would bring clinics into retail spaces throughout Los Angeles.

The clinic, located in The Village at the Westfield Topanga mall, is UCLA Health’s first retail location. Physicians at the clinic will focus on primary care and distributing prescription medications, said lead physician Dr. Mark Grossman, who is in charge of expansion planning.

The Woodland Hills clinic is part of UCLA Health’s plan to expand its clinics to L.A. strip malls. UCLA Health, which currently consists of more than 150 UCLA-run hospitals and clinics including the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, also plans to open locations in Westfield malls in Culver City and Century City.

news.healthcenter (1).png

Grossman said medical organizations often open clinics in retail centers to provide more convenient medical access and reach a greater number of potential patients. Lead physician Dr. Lichuan Fang, who oversees the clinic’s operations, said she hopes to increase accessibility by operating 12 hours per day and on weekends, instead of working within standard business hours.

Officials anticipate that the clinic will serve between 70 and 80 patients per day, including walk-in appointments, Grossman said. UCLA Health plans to employ six full-time physicians and UCLA work-study students for clerical work.

He added the Woodland Hills clinic will use a variety of physician-selected smartphone applications to help patients manage health issues such as anxiety, nutrition, exercise and pregnancy, Grossman added.

Grossman said officials chose the Woodland Hills location because of UCLA Health’s relationship with the Australia-based Westfield Corporation, which owns The Village at Westfield Topanga.

Despite UCLA Health’s expansion into strip malls, Fang said she thinks the organization does not have plans to dominate the primary care market.

Fang said Kaiser Permanente also operates a clinic in Woodland Hills, but she does not anticipate much competition between the two clinics.

“The Kaiser clinic mainly treats those with Kaiser insurance, and we’re treating people with any UCLA-accepted form of insurance,” Fang said. “It’s really two different markets.”

UCLA Health officials will decide whether to solidify future expansion plans depending on whether the Woodland Hills location is successful, Grossman said.

“We’re paying attention to both patient and provider satisfaction with the new clinic,” he said.

Compiled by Chris Campbell, Bruin senior staff.

Chris Campbell | Alumnus
Chris Campbell was the Daily Bruin Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year. He previously served as Radio Director and as a Radio contributor. He writes about everything, but focuses on Westwood and city issues.