Sophomore outside hitter named ESPNW Volleyball Player of the Week

Sophomore Reily Buechler led the Bruins to a pair of wins last weekend with 28 total kills. The outside hitter garnered multiple player of the week honors. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By David Gottlieb

After Reily Buechler led her team to two wins this week, the sophomore outside hitter earned just as many awards.

Following straight-set wins over Arizona and Arizona State, Buechler was named the ESPNW Volleyball Player of the Week, a national recognition, in addition to winning UCLA/Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week honors.

On Friday versus the Wildcats, Buechler posted an errorless .516 hitting percentage thanks to 16 kills, which tied for a team-high with junior outside hitter Jordan Anderson. She also added seven digs and a service ace.

Buechler had another solid game on Sunday versus the Sun Devils, hitting .265 with 12 kills and 8 digs. One of Buechler’s biggest plays of the weekend came in the Bruins’ 30-28 third set win.

With a kill off the Arizona block, Buechler pushed the score to 29-28 in favor of UCLA, forcing the fourth match point of the set, and setting up the Bruin victory.

Compiled by David Gottlieb, Bruin Sports contributor.

David Gottlieb | Alumnus
Gottlieb joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, women's volleyball, men's golf and women's golf beats.