The Rundown: Oct. 20

Men’s volleyball ended last season as the No. 12 team in the nation. This year, the squad returns all but one starter. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Tanner Walters

Check out a breakdown of the UCLA sports stories you might have missed this week.

Women’s golf in second place at the Stanford Intercollegiate
After a strong showing in day two of the Stanford Intercollegiate, UCLA women’s golf currently stands in second place behind the host team. The Bruins are 3-over par with a score of 571, while the Cardinal are even at 568.

UCLA is led by junior Bronte Law, whose 5-under par mark is second overall only to that of Pepperdine’s Marissa Chow. Freshman Bethany Wu, the No. 17 women’s golfer in the NCAA, struggled throughout her first two days of play. Wu had back-to-back 4-over par finishes and currently holds the team’s worst score.

The Bruins entered day two tied with Washington for second place, but the Huskies fell dramatically Monday and UCLA is now alone in the runner-up position. The three-day tournament concludes Tuesday.

Men’s volleyball opens 2015-2016 season
The UCLA men’s volleyball team began practicing in August and will get to face its first competition of the season at the USC Fall Tournament this weekend. Although the Bruins bowed out of last spring’s Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament in the first round, they enter this season with more experience, having graduated only one starter. Coach John Speraw will have a chance to deploy his team’s four new freshmen for the first time Saturday.

UCLA will conclude its fall season with the annual SAC Tournament in November before the 2016 season starts in the opening days of the new year. The schedule, which was recently finalized, is highlighted by a six-game road trip to start the season and a pair of games against Hawai’i in Honolulu.

Bruin softball players earn USWNT invites, team opens fall play

web.sp.therundown.FILE.PicB.jpg
Last year, UCLA softball reached the Women’s College World Series, only to be knocked out by Auburn. (Daily Bruin file photo)

USA softball announced last week that UCLA freshman Paige Halstead and former Bruin standout Ally Carda both made the 43-player invite list to the 2016 USA Softball Women’s National Team Selection Camp.

Halstead won gold at the 2015 WSBC Junior Women’s World Championship with the Junior National Team this summer. The selection camp will be held Jan. 2-8 in Irvine.

The UCLA softball team will face Cal State Fullerton this Saturday in its lone fall game of 2015.

Compiled by Tanner Walters, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.