UCLA swim and dive leaps into 2015-2016 season with weekend events

UCLA swimming and diving kicks off its season with events in San Diego and Texas. Nine Bruins will compete in the two-day SMU Classic, while the rest of the team heads down the coast to USD. (Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Tanner Walters

The UCLA swimming and diving team will scatter across the country as it begins its regular-season events this weekend. While the majority of the team will make the short trip down to the University of San Diego, nine of the Bruins’ experienced athletes will make their 2015-16 debuts at the SMU Classic in Lewisville, Texas.

After capturing fifth place at the Pac-12 championships last spring, the Bruins sent 10 athletes to the NCAA championships last March and placed 23rd overall. Led by sophomore diver Maria Polyakova, five players from that group returned to UCLA.

Sophomore swimmer Katie Grover and junior swimmers Linnea Mack and Madison White – three of the five returners from NCAAs – will join Polyakova in Texas for the SMU Classic.

The two-day meet will include the host school, as well as Florida State, Missouri, Louisville, TCU and UCLA. The rest of the team, with the exception of five, will compete in San Diego for the Saturday meet.

Junior diver Annika Lenz – the fifth NCAA championships returner – will not be participating in either event to start the season.

At last year’s Pac-12 championships, Lenz broke the UCLA record for the platform event, posting a score of 323.15. The team voted her most improved and she was nominated for Pac-12 Diver of the Month in February after a strong showing at the end of the season.

The Bruins have a young roster again this year, with only five seniors on a team of 37. On the pool deck, however, UCLA will have plenty of experience, led by swimming coach Cyndi Gallagher and diving coach Tom Stebbins. The two coaches are entering their 28th and 18th seasons, respectively.

Compiled by Tanner Walters, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.